Off Topic Armor Trivia Discussions

Do I actually see 5 teeth?

Now we all know my level of education on these things is not doctoral or anything, but were there ever buckets with 5 teeth? I went thru the deployment standards for ESB and ROTJ (I know ANH backwards and forwards!!) and the all refer to 4 teeth.

Am I missing something??

Cool pics, I am just more confused now than ever.

:trooper:

yeah you look at some of the auction shots at Chrisites and some of the stunts have 5 teeth FORMED but not all cut

Look at Jez real stormtrooper section as well. There's a picture of 26 helmets all lined up. Some do actually have 5 cut out

If Jez doesn't mind this......? Here you go

streethelmets1.jpg

As we all know heros had 3. I was shocked myself to see them but yeah, they are there right where the tube part meets the front face

yeah you look at some of the auction shots at Chrisites and some of the stunts have 5 teeth FORMED but not all cut

Look at Jez real stormtrooper section as well. There's a picture of 26 helmets all lined up. Some do actually have 5 cut out

If Jez doesn't mind this......? Here you go

streethelmets1.jpg

As we all know heros had 3. I was shocked myself to see them but yeah, they are there right where the tube part meets the front face

John I absolutely do NOT mind you posting my pic - in fact i positively encourage it.

Like you said, its EXACTLY what sites like StarWarsHelmets.com are for. And that mirrors my own attitude towards this hobby - that if we share information we're far more likely to get to the bottom of all of the unknowns that still exist.

Which is why your post Gino leads me to dispair. Whether you mean to wind people up or not, your post is a perfect illustration of whats absolutely wrong with this hobby. If I paraphase the conversation it went like this.

Gino: "I know something that you guys dont about x"

Matt: "I know it too, but I'm not going to say it. Ive always known about x"

Gino: "Well I'm not going to say it either"

Ainsworth (via 2 sources) "X is caused by a, b and c. Its simple really"

Gino "no its not that, but I wont say. I know something you guys don't about x"

(repeat ad infinitum)

In summary, I agree Gino that you have an excellent knowledge in Stormtroopers. But then there are also a number of other people(including myself) who also have an unnatural knowledge on something so bland, but hey its our hobby. Sometimes we're right and sometimes we're wrong - thats the great thing about this hobby.

So to expect people to "take your word for it" is a rather odd mix of of arrogance and naivity. And frankly I question your motives for starting this in the first place. I can only imagine your fears about revealing your hand is either one of two scenarios:

SCENARIO 1: Gino's correct - we all applaud his reasoning. However he now knows one thing less that others dont - so feels he's "lost" something

SCENARIO 2: Gino's incorrect - he things he's lost face (which he hasnt as were all human!), so feels he's "lost" something.

Which leads me to the conclusion that you think you're in a no-win position.

So to be honest i really dont care what this "thing" is. What I do care about is that you are so perfectly emulating someone who we both have such utter contempt for.

Jez

John I absolutely do NOT mind you posting my pic - in fact i positively encourage it.

Like you said, its EXACTLY what sites like StarWarsHelmets.com are for. And that mirrors my own attitude towards this hobby - that if we share information we're far more likely to get to the bottom of all of the unknowns that still exist.

Which is why your post Gino leads me to dispair. Whether you mean to wind people up or not, your post is a perfect illustration of whats absolutely wrong with this hobby. If I paraphase the conversation it went like this.

Gino: "I know something that you guys dont about x"

Matt: "I know it too, but I'm not going to say it. Ive always known about x"

Gino: "Well I'm not going to say it either"

Ainsworth (via 2 sources) "X is caused by a, b and c. Its simple really"

Gino "no its not that, but I wont say. I know something you guys don't about x"

(repeat ad infinitum)

In summary, I agree Gino that you have an excellent knowledge in Stormtroopers. But then there are also a number of other people(including myself) who also have an unnatural knowledge on something so bland, but hey its our hobby. Sometimes we're right and sometimes we're wrong - thats the great thing about this hobby.

So to expect people to "take your word for it" is a rather odd mix of of arrogance and naivity. And frankly I question your motives for starting this in the first place. I can only imagine your fears about revealing your hand is either one of two scenarios:

SCENARIO 1: Gino's correct - we all applaud his reasoning. However he now knows one thing less that others dont - so feels he's "lost" something

SCENARIO 2: Gino's incorrect - he things he's lost face (which he hasnt as were all human!), so feels he's "lost" something.

Which leads me to the conclusion that you think you're in a no-win position.

So to be honest i really dont care what this "thing" is. What I do care about is that you are so perfectly emulating someone who we both have such utter contempt for.

Jez

Hmm, well there is also other mitigating reasons why one would not say anything and it has to do with not so much keeping an edge, BUT could do with making sure you stay one step ahead of not so much competition, but ahead of the other players in the armor games. Not everyone is a maker or one that likes to constantly find ways to refine and restore the armor to the 'nth' degree. So some people will not show photos or talk about finite details and sorry, I cannot blame someone for NOT sharing all and spilling the beans.

Now the reason I wont talk about why the molds have bumps, is this: who cares? Not all of them had bumps. Plain and simple. I consider it to be a horrible error when the molds were made and frankly since I have only seen a handful have them itr is obvious they were refined at the request of 'the man'. So why worry about something that is really insignificant to stormtrooper lore? Most have the ripples and thin spots, especially under the chin but who cares? Yes I know the reason, but it is not an armor related subjet nor is it worth worrying about.

So, honestly saying you feel someone has 'lost' some information is really, I do not think, an honest argument. If the great armor wars is to continue, which it always will, then there HAS to be some secrets to stay one step ahead of obsolesence! :) ( this is written tongue and cheek so pay it no mind to all thoughts of seriousness!)

T*E

It just sounds to me like some people have such a serious feeling of insecurity that they need to feel “boosted” by thinking they know something that others don’t!

I think we’re in Shrek territory here - Lord Farquaad and his castle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Jez

As opposed to sharing that type of information to mock others? Using a questionable source(at BEST) to dispute other's facts?

I quote the King and I, "A puzzlement"

"And it puzzle me to learn

That tho' a man may be in doubt of what he know,

Very quickly he will fight...

He'll fight to prove that what he does not know is so!"

So people don't share info because they can't or maybe it tickles them that a particularly difficult person makes a habit of fighting them just for the fun of it.

Get over it.

"Secure" men don't need to rally others to support their personal fights.

It just sounds to me like some people have such a serious feeling of insecurity that they need to feel ?boosted? by thinking they know something that others don?t!

I think we?re in Shrek territory here - Lord Farquaad and his castle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Jez

YIKES...

Ok, one last go...

The undercuts and taking them off the mould. Was it maybe he cut them to get them off and then stuck them back together, hence the bumps showing under the paint?

One thing I will say is this. The sharing of information is GREAT thing. Great thing! Some of us like Jez have spend hours of their lives scouring the web, books, newspapers, chatting to people etc and he's put ALL that, ALL that onto a website for anyone who may also be interested to pop in and have a look at.

Everyone who costumes today would not be able to do that if others hadn't helped them in some small way (website - hosting a photo - answering a topic post) on their journey.

We all have a common love here and that's of the Star Wars world. This one thing unites us from all over the world and total strangers, some you'll never meet all come on here to learn stuff and better their hobby. A hobby that people like us help to enrich with little titbits of information. So we all owe each other a pat on the back and SHOULD share something if someone knows it.

Now, after posting my heart stirring post, I'm off to have a little cry :)

Come on lads! Share it!