Snap Tutorial For a First Timer

I've seen some snap tutorials out there but they were either incomplete or the snaps were made incorrectly. As someone who couldn't wrap my head around snaps I wanted to make full tutorial in case you don't know how to make them like I did. They were incredibly confusing at first but I've got it down now.

A snap tool is essential as you'll be making dozens if not hundreds of these. I used this snap tool and these snaps.

KMu6Uwom.jpg lPRwGNDm.jpg

You'll also want a soldering iron like this for punching holes. Alternatively you can buy a leather hole punch. I like the soldering iron because I could melt the nylon around the cut edges so that it doesn't fray. It also smells so wear a mask in a well ventilated room.

zIVLXywm.jpg UyiAf4wm.jpg

1. Pair off your snaps

The two "rounded" female pieces will pair together (left) alongside the actual strap. The more thin male ends will also go together (right) with the nylon that will be glued to the armor.

TUmzB0Rl.jpg

2. Punch Holes

Use the soldering iron or hole punch to punch holes in the fabric. Just center a hole in the nylon. For the webbing it will depend on the length needed for each part of the strapping.

HhwxDRJl.jpg

3. Nylon Webbing

For this part insert this punch die into the tool

KhgwcSvl.jpg

OV0Viw0l.jpg

Tighten the tool so that when it clamps the ends just barely touch

o1Vogrkl.jpg

Next take the back of the male snap and poke it through the nylon hole you made (this is the back side that will be glued)

duCTg1ol.jpg

Place the front male side on top like this

JB41M51l.jpg

Center the tool and clamp them shut

Lj9ubr7l.jpg

It should now look like this. If the two pieces feel loose then tighten the tool farther and try again

qv9GXNDl.jpg

4. Strapping

This time use the bowl shaped snap die

prPCzXJl.jpg

Same process as before but with the female ends. Push the flat head female end into the hole you made.

iPZACIPl.jpg

VrdqQuHl.jpg

Place the other female half on top

VwvDVmyl.jpg

Again crunch down with the tool like before

IwkF6sdl.jpg

It should now look like this

xTluBzwl.jpg

5. Fitting Together

You should be done! Both halves should be able to snap together. Now you have the tools you mass produce these for your armor

O4dsqPAl.jpg

Edited by JBar
  • Like 3

I use cheap snaps from Aliexpress and had no issues with them so far, definitely try a small quantity first to make sure there are no issues with them before purchasing large amounts. Also try to purchase from the same manufacturer, there can be minor size differences from one maker to another.

You can also use a Philips head screwdriver to split the snap post to give a better hold, less likely to come apart.

okkaz66.jpg

Depending on the length of the snap post you could also double over the elastic, stops them pulling through.

I found the two piece hand tools give a better spread and lock compared to using pliers but whatever works for you.

I also suggest double snaps on some areas which take some strain, in the event you may have a snap fail at least you have a spare so you can keep going, had this happen once with a shoulder snap. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harbinger said:

Also: don’t buy cheap snaps! Future you will thank yourself.

You know it’s funny I had to redo my snaps because I initially got nice Tandy snaps. They were so hard to unsnap that I brought super cheap snaps in bulk and now they’re perfect. They’re also about a fifth of the price so win win

A set of snap pliers was a a great investment in my build.

I used these: https://amzn.to/3TheQDK

I also used 15mm Prym Camping snaps https://amzn.to/3TgvLGD though I found a supplier who sold bulk boxes of 50, and I used about half of them. Having plent meant I didn't skimp and also had a couple to practice with.

• Like 1