New guy

Hi everyone! I hope I’m in the right place. I’m looking to get signed up with the 501st and get a set of Stormtrooper armor! I think I found a cool set online and want some wisdom on if it will work. 

• Like 3

Hello and welcome to the forum, take care purchasing online, some easy to find costumes don't meet base requirements, a few threads which you should find helpful

You also must meet base requirements of the CRL (costume reference library) 

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

Welcome! You've come to the right place. There's a wealth of information here and it's all good stuff. Those links above area a really good place to start. Hopefully we'll get to see your build thread once you decide which armor to go with. Let us know if you have any questions

Welcome, Pax! We have a great team here to help you on your journey to become a real life stormtrooper! If you're eyeing a particular set or armor online, feel free to post it here, or even send it to one of us in a private message if you'd prefer that, and we can provide you with feedback!

:salute:

Welcome to FISD Pax!

Research is the key with this hobby, luckily we have an immense resource and plenty of helpful troopers here to guide you on this most exciting of journeys.

21 hours ago, Pax said:

Hi everyone! I hope I’m in the right place. I’m looking to get signed up with the 501st and get a set of Stormtrooper armor! I think I found a cool set online and want some wisdom on if it will work. 

Hello recruit and future fellow trooper!  In addition to what everyone else mentioned, I also suggest joining your local Garrison/Outpost and or Squad.  Many have recruit only forums and FB pages 

Getting connected locally will give you the opportunity to meet your fellow troopers and armor experts, attend armor parties and maybe even attend troops as a handler.  

Like the other troopers said, we're a friendly bunch who want to see you succeed and join the Empire!

2 hours ago, Pax said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I live in Colorado so I got signed up with the Mountain Garrison. I found this set online from one of those websites. It looks right to me but can you experts have a glance? Is this 501st approved?

https://www.denuonovo.com/products/star-wars-first-order-stormtrooper-standard-kit?variant=43113352560859

The DN does take some work for base approval, needs pieces glued and filled, either ABS paste or filler then paint

No4aiJR.png

IMG_20190411_142243.jpg.8ee1560cadeac5ca069c8f53100e0cc1.jpg

Also need a filler piece for the forearms 

forearms tlj.png

If you have a look at thread titles you may notice the maker initials are usually added, this is also the same for L2 and L3 applications.

You can find DN build threads here

This one from Justin is well worth a look

Also take note that there are differences between the version of First Order Stormtrooper, this thread goes through a few differences.

DN has been setup for TLJ 

2 hours ago, Pax said:

Thank you. I think it’s a safe bet to buy and then I can make those little adjustments. 

:duim:

Here's a great thread on ABS paste 

If going this way I suggest multiple thin coats, thicker you go the more air bubbles you can get so when you sand you can see them. It is a slow process but achievable, as I say have a look through some of the other DN threads for more info :duim:

Earlier Anovos builds we glued and filled with automotive filler, primed the whole armor and painted, it's more work but both ways are approvable.

You can find base 501st costume requirements here:

TFA https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_-_First_Order

TLJ/TROS  https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_TLJ

Welcome. I myself am not a first order expert by any means but lots of people here are. You'll definitely find what you're looking for in the first order threads. Hope to see a build thread once you find the armor you want