BallpointZen's DDD AM ANH TK Build Thread

Hello everyone!  Allow me to introduce myself! My name is Mark and I am currently in the process of working on an ANH TK kit from Dave's Darkside Depot. This is my first ever "hard" costume build and I am slowly working my way through it. Right now the main goal is just basic approval, but if I find myself trooping more and more in it I may eventually attempt to bring it up to a top tier status. 

A little background:  (long winded, skip to next post if your only interested in build)

I originally became a fan of Star Wars through my Dad's VHS set of the Original Trilogy bought back in the late 80's. I watched those tapes to death, but they still maintain a place of honor on my bookshelf. I grew up with X-wings and Tie Fighters hung on strings in my room and every gift wrapping paper tube I could find immediately became a lightsaber. Then one day I was watching the Rose Bowl parade and to my surprise a small sea of white appeared on the screen. Stormtroopers! Lots of them, marching in the parade! And per the commentators, these were not actors but normal people in costumes THEY built. Little kid me thought it was so cool! Well time went by and in focusing on school, then college, then making a living, I just sorta forgot all about it.

Fast forward to about 3 years ago. I had been living in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for a while and was in that post-pandemic slump everyone seemed to go through. I was in a go nowhere job, didn't really have any friends, and was spending way too much time sitting alone at home. One evening I was playing Battlefront 2 and that parade popped back into my head. I wondered if that group still existed and if there were any of them here in Texas. Google led me to this group called the 501st Legion and not only did they still exist, but they were now a charity organization? So I get to play in white armor, and also put some good back into the world? Sign me up!

I contacted the 501st and they redirected me to my local Garrison, who then invited me to come visit the clubs at an expo that weekend. I spent a day talking to Tie Pilots, being chased by Jawas, and rescuing Mandalorians from overly chatty con-goers. Standing around with all these icons of my childhood, I knew I needed to be a part of this! I immediately began the plans to build MY Stormtrooper, but then...I was stolen!

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a group of Jedi having a lightsaber fight. Remembering my cardboard tube lightsabers of old, I walked over to see what was going on. I hit it off with some of them and a few months later I am a costume approved member of Saber Guild! I have since then been a mainstay of our kids shows, performed fully choreographed saber fights in front of a stadium of people, and even have built a good deal of the props that decorate our show space. But out of the corner of my eye, I would always see that white armor walking around, and I knew it was only a matter of time. So after two years of swinging glowsticks, I have decided it is time to return to what brought me here in the first place.....a Stormtrooper!

So that brings us to today. I am still an active member of Saber Guild, and that will probably remain my main club. I really enjoy performing for a crowd and entertaining kids with our "Padawan training". But I also want the ability to occasionally step out of the "Temple", put on a bucket, and play some "bad cop".

Through the build videos put out by Dave,  following AJ Hamler's build book, and talking with TKs at troops I have been able to make some progress on things. However, I have gotten to the point now where I think I need help from other builders to make sure I don't get too over my head. I would like to get input on what I have done so far so I can make corrections now versus finding out a borked something up at submission.

I will try and upload build details and pictures as much as I can, however, between work, my side job, and Saber Guild troops, time is somewhat limited. The current goal is to have the costume done with basic approval by the end of the year.

Before I end, I just want to send a quick shout out to Dave and AJ Hamler. Hamler's build write up is such an excellent resource to learn from and presents a lot of good ideas I would not have thought of as a first timer. And Dave, his kit and communication are excellent! I can't wait to get this built and be able to wear this AM set proudly!

So, thank you for coming to my TED talk, and lets get into the build!

standing.jpg

kiddo small.jpg

jedi smash.jpg

Edited by BallpointZen
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

WHAT IS ALREADY DONE...

Due to me being a first time builder, I just decided to have Dave build the helmet for me since that is such a nuanced piece. The first thing I put together was the thermal detonator using the measurements from AJ Hamler's write up, and the recommended TD clips and screws from Ukswrath.

I have also printed, assembled, and painted an E-11. It needs a little more work but I can do that after approval since its not required. (I don't think)

Other things I have: boots, fabric belt, black two piece undersuit, balaclava and a ribbed neck seal, strapping kit pre-fitted with snaps, and holster. I think I have everything I need to complete the build, I just need to put in the work now.

In order to not overload a single post with information, I am going to break things up a bit. I will get into the in progress stuff next post.

Helmet.jpg

thermal and blaster.jpg

Edited by BallpointZen

Posted (edited)

Trimming the fat...

So far a lot of what I have been doing is trimming the return edges on the legs and arms. Using the resources mentioned above, I eliminated the return edge on most things. I left some return on the bottoms of the thighs because from what I read, that is a good thing to do to keep the shins from overlapping and getting caught. Thoughts on that?

On the legs, there is a definite place where the cover strip will eventually go, so I trimmed those down to the correct 20mm and glued them with a backing strip. I think I still need to trim the tops of the thighs, and bottoms of the calves more. I am going to try them on this weekend with suit and boots to see if I can get photos. I will post those when I can to see if you guys think more trimming in necessary. Once I get them fitted to the correct lengths of my limbs, I will then work on getting them to wrap around properly.

As for the arms, I don't think those have as much room to trim, but I might not need to. I did a test and the biceps seem to fit well. I placed the shoulder bell up where it should go and it sits nicely over the top edge of the bicep on both sides. However, once I get the shoulder straps and chest built, I will need to mock it up again to make sure the bells are not too low or sitting too high on the shoulder straps.

The big thing right now is trying to figure out the correct size of the biceps and forearms so I can cut the excess. I think right now I need to trim the excess plastic to about an inch or so of where I want it to be. That way I can try fitting them without so much excess, but still have slack to make adjustments with. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to go about fitting the arms, and how should they fit?

Also, one forearm interior has a halfmoon cut that gives some good mobility to the elbow. The other side does not. Am I allowed to cut one to match the other or is that a detail that needs to remain?

Forearms Outside

CZJNncl.jpg

Forearms Inside

BqMSplE.jpg

Forearms Return

n9O6anI.jpg

Biceps Outside

GH4tQS6.jpg

Biceps Inside

mjF9rhj.jpg

Biceps Return

m3B8GyO.jpg

Shins Front

P8ZNNgw.jpg

Shins Back

b3yrjp5.jpg

Shins Return

DW7VHyk.jpg

Thighs Front

dBQwn4q.jpg

Thighs Back

GX7jliP.jpg

Thighs Return

mef7fE9.jpg

Edited by BallpointZen
Adding photo links

DDD is a great kit! Looks like you've got things under control. I've got the same kit from Dave. A.J's build thread is a great one to look at. Welcome aboard!

Welcome to FISD Mark!.  Glad to have you here. 

It looks like you are on the right path with your build and we are here to help every step on the way.

For a better assistance it would be great if you can post the direct link option for your photos so we can see then directly into the post.

Lets us know all questions you have and take a look to this useful index of resources.  :salute:

Welcome to Whitearmor 

The 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment :salute:

Like Mario mentioned most use photo hosting sites like imgur to upload direct to the forum. 

Helpful thread thereon how to upload. 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

17 hours ago, BallpointZen said:

The big thing right now is trying to figure out the correct size of the biceps and forearms so I can cut the excess. I think right now I need to trim the excess plastic to about an inch or so of where I want it to be. That way I can try fitting them without so much excess, but still have slack to make adjustments with. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to go about fitting the arms, and how should they fit?

Also, one forearm interior has a halfmoon cut that gives some good mobility to the elbow. The other side does not. Am I allowed to cut one to match the other or is that a detail that needs to remain?

Normally you would try on the armor pieces with the undersuit and boots on (for legs), A fingers width is all you need for space once the armor is positioned in the right position. Make sure when you are trimming the backs to trim central to the top cover strip.

Yes you can trim your forearms to match for more movement. You will also notice many armor makes have one oval and one round rear forearm, you can leave them as is, some use a hot water bath and heat and squash more oval, especially if you have skinny arms. 

A great thread on return edges.

Also we have a gallery area full of references if you need to do some comparisons :D 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/19-ottk-reference/

Welcome, looking forward to following the rest of your build

On 7/26/2024 at 4:44 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Normally you would try on the armor pieces with the undersuit and boots on (for legs), A fingers width is all you need for space once the armor is positioned in the right position. Make sure when you are trimming the backs to trim central to the top cover strip.

Yes you can trim your forearms to match for more movement. You will also notice many armor makes have one oval and one round rear forearm, you can leave them as is, some use a hot water bath and heat and squash more oval, especially if you have skinny arms. 

A great thread on return edges.

Also we have a gallery area full of references if you need to do some comparisons :D 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/19-ottk-reference/

Welcome, looking forward to following the rest of your build

Thank you for this link. I have been wanting to also start the trimming on the torso bits, but have been hesitant. This is going to be a really big help. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Mark. 
Welcome aboard. You look to be off to a great start and definitely have been given some good tips already. 
one thing you may want to consider if you think you will eventually apply for level 2 or 3 is to build it to that level from the start.  It is much easier to do it while you are building than it is to try and modify it later.  

Keep posting lots of pictures and asking lots of questions. We are here to help you on this amazing journey. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I have a question. I have found this here on the forums, and I was using it to figure out where the armor should sit on the body. However, it just clicked that this is on a dummy, not a living human. So would this still be a good reference for the right placement of the armor pieces, or is there a better one to reference? I am trying to figure this out right now so I can trim everything to the correct lengths before I start trimming the excess off to actually create the seams to back and glue.

P.S. I am still only focused on arms and legs at the moment. I have heard the best way to get the back seam on the shins and thighs is to first get them sized properly for the length of your leg, then wrap them around and have someone follow up a straight line from the seam on the back of the boot. This way when everything is said and done, you have a nice straight line from the foot to the top of the thigh.

I also like to comb through the EIB and Centurion application posts and you can see the things that are picked out that need changes fitting wise. Generally you want minimal armor gaps showing if possible especially between the chest and shoulder area. I heard that George Lucas even requested drop boxes to be added to cover up more undersuit area (can't confirm this).

As for calves and thighs yeah tape down the front and wrap them until they fit. Make sure your friend tapes a very straight vertical and centered line which you can cut down where the tape edge is. Do the same for the other opening side. This video does a better job at what I'm trying to explain

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello again everybody!

So, per my last post the fronts of the thighs and shins were trimmed to the correct width and glued with a backing strip to start. I have put a strip of blue tape to visualize where the front cover strip would be in order to assist with aligning the seams. I then had a guildmate, who also owns a TK, help me do the initial fitting to my body. Today I went through and cut off the excess plastic we determined wasn't necessary, but left enough to still do some fine tuning. I then did another fitting to get the right feel, trimmed a little more where there was significant overlap, and then fitted again. I think I now am at a place where there is only about an inch or so overlap on the backside of each piece, which should be perfect to split down the middle for a nice flush joint.

However, before I do that I wanted to get some photos of what they are looking like so I can make sure they sit at the right spot on my legs before I pass a point of no return.

I would like to get some input, if anyone is willing.

My current questions are:

1. Is the shin overlap on the boot acceptable? Does it need to be adjusted up or down at all? Also, can I just get confirmation that I have them on the correct legs?
  2. Is the gap between the top of the shin and bottom of the thigh large enough? I feel as though the shin needs to come down a little more because the return edge is hitting right at the joint (about 3/4 down the kneecap). I also worry if I don't leave enough space I will have issue with the sniper knee and ammo belt getting pinched or rubbing when walking.
  3. Is the gap between the torso/butt plate and the tops of the thighs acceptable? I think it looks good, but would like more experienced eyes on them.
  4. The bottom edge of the thighs hit me at the top of the knee cap. Does that need to be higher? I think once I get the garter belts on them, I can cinch up the straps and they won't be an issue.
  5. Right now when I try to walk with the thighs on, while holding them up with my fingers, they are clipping each other in the groin area. No armor biting (thank god) but I can see that being an issue over time.  After I glue everything up could I heat the plastic and "flatten" the inner curve a bit to create a little bigger thigh gap? Is my fitting off, and should it be flush with my inner thigh?
  6. The blue tape is a stand in for the cover strips. I put on the shins and boots while cooking dinner to see where they would settle out. It looks like they twisted a bit so they don't perfectly match up with the boot seam, but still somehow align with the thigh seam. Should I angle the seams a bit more to try and make it all align, or is what is shown right now acceptable?

Shins

T3qw0ey.jpeg

Front Legs only

mcoAjcM.jpeg

Back Legs only

W4jApqL.jpeg

Left Side Legs

GkzCZza.jpeg

Right Side Legs

QeevJ5O.jpeg

Front with Torso (thighs slid down a bit since I couldn't hold them up)

QCz1CLi.jpeg

Back with Butt plate (thighs slid down a bit since I could hold them up)

wqxIypC.jpeg

Thank you for your time, and stay shiny!

Edited by BallpointZen

Hi Mark,

Great job on getting the leg armour together.

With respect to your questions,

Is the shin overlap on the boot acceptable? Does it need to be adjusted up or down at all? Also, can I just get confirmation that I have them on the correct legs?

The shin overlap looks okay but if you find that the top of the shin is hitting your knee and preventing you from bending your leg properly, it could come down slightly still.

Is the gap between the top of the shin and bottom of the thigh large enough? I feel as though the shin needs to come down a little more because the return edge is hitting right at the joint (about 3/4 down the kneecap). I also worry if I don't leave enough space I will have issue with the sniper knee and ammo belt getting pinched or rubbing when walking.

The gap looks good on the first photos where you are holding your thighs up.  again, try bending your knee and walking and make sure that you can actually move properly.  The ammo belt sits up on the bottom of the thigh, so it doesn't really interfere with the shin,  the sniper plate will often get caught in the bottom of the thigh, but this can be corrected by ensuring it is mounted a bit forward to keep it in front of the lower thigh edge when the knee is straight.

Is the gap between the torso/butt plate and the tops of the thighs acceptable? I think it looks good, but would like more experienced eyes on them.

The gap could be a bit smaller but if your thighs have slipped down because you couldn't hold them up, the suspenders will correct this.

Y9jEva0.jpg

The bottom edge of the thighs hit me at the top of the knee cap. Does that need to be higher? I think once I get the garter belts on them, I can cinch up the straps and they won't be an issue.

That is about right - again, the main thing will be to adjust the suspender strapping so you can bend at the upper leg and the knee comfortably.  You likely will want it just at the top or above the kneecap.

Right now when I try to walk with the thighs on, while holding them up with my fingers, they are clipping each other in the groin area. No armor biting (thank god) but I can see that being an issue over time.  After I glue everything up could I heat the plastic and "flatten" the inner curve a bit to create a little bigger thigh gap? Is my fitting off, and should it be flush with my inner thigh?

It is normal for the thighs to rub a bit when walking, I would advise that if you are going to try adding heat to reshape them, to be very careful not to over heat and damage the armour.

The blue tape is a stand in for the cover strips. I put on the shins and boots while cooking dinner to see where they would settle out. It looks like they twisted a bit so they don't perfectly match up with the boot seam, but still somehow align with the thigh seam. Should I angle the seams a bit more to try and make it all align, or is what is shown right now acceptable?

The front cover plate placements look good,  the back ones however should align with the boot seam at the bottom.  Your left shin looks like it twisted out slightly in the last photo.  it does look like you have enough material on your shins at the bottom edge to cut them so that the coverstrip runs in the right direction.

tTeOlXb.jpg

• Like 1