9yrs in the closet...no Tom Cruise jokes thank you.

Hello All. 

I HAVE REMOVED ALL PREVIOUS TEXT AND PHOTOS, AS I HAVE DECIDED TO START AGAIN...

I am trying to follow the RS Prop Masters Tutorials, I am starting as they do with the Right Bicep. 

Anyway to the build...The measurements they mention is 170mm around each piece at the bottom, and 190mm around the top of each piece.

The right hand side piece has been sent to me with zero tolerance and is in-fact at 170mm already, but the top has plenty of room.

Am I correct in saying I have to measure from the middle and then 85mm each way to achieve the 170mm at the bottom, and also the same for the 190mm at the top and hopefully draw a straight enough line so that they seat nicely?

What also holds together the pieces together before you apply the cover strip? Tape? Glue?

Attached are new photos, is the correct before I go cutting etc.

20240703_092534 SMALL.jpg

20240703_100913.jpg

20240703_100931.jpg

20240703_101011.jpg

20240703_101027.jpg

20240703_101059.jpg

Edited by StormTroopa
Starting all over again
  • Like 3

Welcome Mark,

You are in the right place for asking questions, that is for certain.

There is no such thing as a dumb question here, so please feel free to ask as many as you need so we can best assist you through this journey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Welcome Mark,

You are in the right place for asking questions, that is for certain.

There is no such thing as a dumb question here, so please feel free to ask as many as you need so we can best assist you through this journey.

All I want to know before I cut into £50's worth of plastic, are my pencil lines on point?

I think that you should rather have a cut line like this on the shoulder: Not following the shape all the way out but rather keeping the main line intact!

B2pcOuC.png

Maybe do the pencil lines on the other shoulder as well and put them side by side for comparison? For the symmetrical look I'd suggest having a look at both shoulders together!

• Like 1

Reference

gallery_12157_15_13346.jpg

I don't remove all of the rear area of the forearms, I leave some as I have very thin arms, I would trim to suit your arms. Correct with coverstrip trim lines.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434121729.074432SMALL.jpg

Reference

gallery_12157_59_184989.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So I decided to start on the Bi-ceps, RHS first and no problems as I could/can see, then I did the left...D'oh! the thing is massive on me, I got carried away with the sizing and now, it is what it is...

Now being that this suit is 9yrs old, matching could be an issue, so just buying a new bi-cep is not an option tbh (maybe) so can I just cut the width etc to get it to sit nicely? or would it then not pass inspection at it's not 19cm at the bottom and 17cm at the top?

Can I pad it out under the black body suit? HELP!

Edited by StormTroopa

Really depends on what size it is and how it looks on you, photos my help but you really want to try with your chest on.

How to add images using external image host 

Original suits did have a slight curve to them, this gave a nice fit and little gap between them and the chest

gallery_12157_15_18545.jpg

k85ELoM.jpg?1  5GKZpcy.jpg?1

JFwe2HM.jpg?2  xliWw92.jpg?2 

• Like 1

If you attach images to the thread we can see how it looks and also see possible solutions for whatever "mistake" you've made!

Is it just that you cut the bicep out, put the cover strips on and it doesn't feel snug on your bicep? (because that is rarely a problem)

On 7/8/2024 at 7:39 AM, Nairy said:

If you attach images to the thread we can see how it looks and also see possible solutions for whatever "mistake" you've made!

Is it just that you cut the bicep out, put the cover strips on and it doesn't feel snug on your bicep? (because that is rarely a problem)

The uploading of photos is an issue for me, I'm trying...I think to be honest I am out of my depth here, and beginning to regret this. I can't even distinguish between the right and left pieces, mine don't look like the ones RS Prop masters hold up in the video to show the difference (some do, some don't) I also have weird bits that stick out at the bottom of each piece etc, unlike there ones that are clean lines etc...totally my fault for leaving it this long.

I THINK I NEED TO START TOTALLY FROM SCRATCH AND DRIVE YOU ALL MAD WITH BIT BY BIT PHOTO UPLOADS...SO here goes, forearms...I await a patient helper armorer!20240709_075910-Copy.jpg.49815071501a81152bf7d30abaed3a05.jpg

20240709_075758 - Copy.jpg

20240709_075813 - Copy.jpg

20240709_075824 - Copy.jpg

20240709_075833 - Copy.jpg

20240709_075918 - Copy.jpg

20240709_075931 - Copy.jpg

20240709_075938 - Copy.jpg

20240709_075943 - Copy.jpg

20240709_075844 - Copy.jpg

Don't worry you'll get a hang of this! 

Posting images on here is much easier if you use something like https://imgur.com/, log in there, paste your photos, and then on the photos, right click and choose "copy image address" - then paste in the thread! By doing this, you are able to paste as many images as you want - since there is a limit to every account on the forum on how much data one can post!

Nevertheless, the left forearm has 11 indents, and the right one 12 indents! That is how you tell the outer parts apart!

A couple of threads which may be of help

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 3:48 AM, StormTroopa said:

I also have weird bits that stick out at the bottom of each piece etc, unlike there ones that are clean lines etc...totally my fault for leaving it this long.

It's only after sanding the edges that we get the look of clean lines. As you browse through different build threads you will see that just about everyone's cuts look rough just after using a knife or shears. Some sand the edges before putting everything together, and others (me) sometimes wait to sand until after putting the parts together. Nevertheless, the edges look rough prior to sanding. That is unavoidable.

You're already in a great place by having started your build! Plenty of folks feel daunted and/or overwhelmed when they see all the pieces laid out prior to doing any work. It's great that you have moved through that feeling of being daunted or overwhelmed to begin your build! Take it a step at a time as you research different build threads and measure, cut, and assemble the pieces. The threads that @gmrhodes13 has posted will give you excellent guidance (as will Glen and others here) in navigating your build.

On 7/9/2024 at 3:48 AM, StormTroopa said:

SO here goes, forearms...I await a patient helper armorer!

As @Nairy alluded to, the asymmetry of the armor provides helpful hints for which pieces go on which side. Reading through different build threads, as well as the ANH reference threads, will give you an idea of which pieces go on each side as your build. 

As is the case when building any stormtrooper (or any costume in general), research is key and give yourself plenty of credit for getting this far and making progress! You'll make more progress some days than others, but the more you learn and the more questions you ask will all help keep up the momentum to bring your stormtrooper to life!

• Like 2