Looking to get started

Good morning/afternoon/evening, 

Up until recently my Star Wars knowledge was that of what is now Ep 4 - A New Hope, Ep 5 - Empire Strikes Back, and Ep 6 - Return of the Jedi. I have embarked on the journey of watching all of it in timeline order on Disney+. I am currently watching Rebels Season 2. I have a couple friends that are 501st members. One is active as ROTJ Darth Vader and the other is an ANH stunt Trooper. I thought about what character I'd like to be. One issue I have is that I have a large beard and there aren't many characters with large beards. So I have decided to do a Trooper, as I'd be able to hide it. If there maybe a character that I may be better suited for, please let me know, as I am still very new to any sort of cosplay.

Edited by Beardedvet222
Added more info

Hi Dave and welcome to FISD.

Glad to read that you're planning to become an Imperial Stormtrooper ! :jc_doublethumbup:

Bellow a link to the FISD costumes list. take a look 

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

and this is a useful index of resources 

Let us know all your questions. We are here to help.

:salute:

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum, good luck with the research, hope to see a build thread from you soon

• Like 1

Greetings from Western New York!  I really don't have much to add to what Glen and Mario already posted, but stop by the Garrison Excelsior forums and say hello: https://www.garrisonexcelsior.com/forum/.

We are kind of sparse Upstate, so you're more likely to get useful help here, but there might be a couple unbuilt and unwanted Stormtrooper kits floating around the Garrison.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the home of the Stormtrooper, Dave! A balaclava will take care of your beard! We have one bearded man in my garrison with like an 8/9 inch (ish 20cm) beard and it tucks away nicely being a Stormtrooper since most use a balaclava and all use a neck seal, which will tighten everything down a bit more! :) 

If you're new to cosplay, I'd really recommend the ANH Stunt/Hero Stormtrooper, because it is easy to get ahold of a great looking armor because of all our awesome vendors

For a beginner cosplayer, I'd suggest the Stormtrooper not only for the cool looks but also the mannerisms, it is very easy to look cool by not doing anything. If you don't have a clue of what to do you can just follow the "pack" of other troopers, or just stand still with your E-11 blaster in hand and just look really cool!

It is also very rewarding, since the Stormtrooper and Darth Vader are basically the most popular amongst the people you meet and a lot of people get star struck and happy - and it is always an honor to have been responsible for their awesome experience! :dancing-trooper::trooper::salute:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nairy said:

For a beginner cosplayer, I'd suggest the Stormtrooper not only for the cool looks but also the mannerisms, it is very easy to look cool by not doing anything. If you don't have a clue of what to do you can just follow the "pack" of other troopers, or just stand still with your E-11 blaster in hand and just look really cool!

It is also very rewarding, since the Stormtrooper and Darth Vader are basically the most popular amongst the people you meet and a lot of people get star struck and happy - and it is always an honor to have been responsible for their awesome experience! 

What Nairy said.  The stormtrooper gets a lot of love.  Lot's of people want photos, "just with the stormtrooper" and they always like to interact with the TK.  Being a TK you always look cool no matter what you are doing and you can get away with doing a lot of things!

Bart

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 5:58 PM, Wompet said:

Greetings from Western New York!  I really don't have much to add to what Glen and Mario already posted, but stop by the Garrison Excelsior forums and say hello: https://www.garrisonexcelsior.com/forum/.

We are kind of sparse Upstate, so you're more likely to get useful help here, but there might be a couple unbuilt and unwanted Stormtrooper kits floating around the Garrison.

I have registered for the forums but have not received my activation email. Can you please advise?

On 6/30/2024 at 4:24 PM, Beardedvet222 said:

I have registered for the forums but have not received my activation email. Can you please advise?

The Garrison Web Master is on vacation, so there was a delay, but I see you're registered and posting now, so it's all good.

• Like 1

Welcome, Dave.

I know a few troopers with beards, and they all wear balaclavas to keep their beards inside the helmet. Seems to work very well, but that would also be determined by how magnificent your bear actually may be to fit it all in nicley.

• Like 1

These are what I prefer using, cuts down on heat 

neck.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beardedvet222 said:

Thank you! I'll look into them. 

I purchase them from Aliexpress, pretty cheap 

• Like 1