TheSweatshop's 3D Printed Rogue One TK Stormtrooper

Hello There!

xZw3EL9.jpeg

I've been lurking awhile now but just got tickets to Star Wars Celebration in Japan so it's time to start my build with a hard deadline. I bought a kit from 850Armorworks ages ago, but since lurking for so long, I've decided to try to achieve a higher level of accuracy and put my 3D printers to work. 

Armor Parts

Helmet - Printed but not fully satisfied with print settings

Nico Henderson

Etsy via DesertFareCosplay https://www.etsy.com/listing/784808040/rogue-one-stormtroopersolo-mimban

Updated files

TKModder421 https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/53406-modifying-the-nico-helmet/

Shoulder Straps - TBD

Shoulder Armor - Printed

Mr. Paul's Shoretrooper Build

https://www.mrpaulsshoretrooperbuild.co.uk/the-files/

Upper Arm Armor - Printed

Forearm Armor - Printed

Hand Plates - Printed and coated w/ UV resin

Chest Armor - TBD

Back Armor - TBD

Abdomen Armor - Printed and coated w/ UV resin

Cod Armor - TBD

Kidney Armor - Printed

Posterior Armor - TBD

Belt - TBD

Thermal Detonator - TBD

Thigh Armor - TBD

Lower Leg Armor - Printed

Soft Parts

Neck Seal

Keep Trooping/Imperial Boots

https://keeptrooping.com/

Under Suit

Gloves

Boots

Optional Accessories

E-11 Blaster

S&T Full Metal Custom Sterling Airsoft AEG SMG with Heat Sink and Scope

BlasTech DLT-19 Heavy Blaster Rifle

Denix MG 34 Machinegun - Non-Firing Replica

Pauldron

Star Wars Rogue One: Shoulder Pauldron Deathtrooper Stormtrooper

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TrooperbayShop

Edited by TheSweatshop
Organizing
  • Like 2

Can't wait to see how it goes.

I'm currently building an 850 Armorworks kit for my wife.

It is a bit different than my OTTK, but so far it is going well.

We still need to source the soft goods, so I'll take a peak at what you have there.

Hello there!!!

Which Mr Paul files are you printing? The shins and forearms I assume? I've also got that set and have been neglecting my printers.

The Akira Yuming set on cgtrader is a nice R1 armor set also. At least one has been approved. Sometimes nice to mix and match. I have 3 R1 file sets counting the Galactic Armory... heh. I hoard.

Good luck with the build! Looking forward to following.

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing the progress

1 hour ago, revlimiter said:

Hello there!!!

Which Mr Paul files are you printing? The shins and forearms I assume? I've also got that set and have been neglecting my printers.

The Akira Yuming set on cgtrader is a nice R1 armor set also. At least one has been approved. Sometimes nice to mix and match. I have 3 R1 file sets counting the Galactic Armory... heh. I hoard.

Good luck with the build! Looking forward to following.

I have Yuming and PewPewCrafts as well. I'm also looking at Alain Rivard / SciFiHeaven's Files via @DavidF's build. I'll also probably buy Galactic Armory's set as I'm a fan anyways. 

Anyways, I'm starting with Mr. Paul's Abdomen, I'll also likely use his arms and shins.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Made some progress.

I’ve got a job out of state but I brought my printer along and have afternoons off to work on my armor. I kept the printer running all week.

XCkK01N.jpeg

I’m printing in ABS. I know some people have difficulty printing ABS due to warping but so far with my enclosure I’ve been having success. My printer is a Prusa MK2.5S with a IKEA enclosure. I print at .15mm layer height but I also have been taking advantage of Variable Layer Height to squeeze out detail and print time. I’m printing at 15% infill and it seems super light but pretty damn durable and flexes well. I glued them up with an ABS juice of ABS and acetone, mostly being acetone but I’m adding more ABS supports to see what mixture works best.

49BcjhG.jpeg

The actual alignment went spectacular to my surprise. I also did a test fit.

5qQsORo.jpeg

Only the outside edges of the belt tabs were having trouble but I bowed the abs by using filament boxes as spacers in the back gap and it made the difference to get those last tabs to set up.

LTV9rZE.jpeg

Currently printing Nico’s Modified Helmet from @TKModder421 so stay tuned for that glue up as well.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TheSweatshop said:

My printer is a Prusa MK2.5S with a IKEA enclosure

Tell me more about this IKEA enclosure? I've been looking for something for my printers as I'd love to try ABS or ASA. Best I can do is PETG currently and that is if my bed heater is feeling cooperative.

Historically it's been a stack of two IKEA LACK tables. They fit Prusa and clone printers very nicely.

https://blog.prusa3d.com/cheap-simple-3d-printer-enclosure_7785/

Scroll to the end.

I used to have one of these and it worked okay. You want a paver stone to set your printer on or you get a ton of resonance and noise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, revlimiter said:

Historically it's been a stack of two IKEA LACK tables. They fit Prusa and clone printers very nicely.

https://blog.prusa3d.com/cheap-simple-3d-printer-enclosure_7785/

Scroll to the end.

I used to have one of these and it worked okay. You want a paver stone to set your printer on or you get a ton of resonance and noise.

That’s exactly what I’m running including paver stone.

Also planning and getting Bambulabs P1S, will likely run both since my prusa has been treating me kind lately. Still kinda holding out for a possible new Bambulabs printer announcement.

Edited by TheSweatshop
  • Like 1

Your Prusa is kicking buttplate! Definitely nice to have a couple/few printers and not retire that good boy.

The abs look great. That's a fantastic project for time away from home.

• 2 weeks later...
Made some progress.

I’ve got a job out of state but I brought my printer along and have afternoons off to work on my armor. I kept the printer running all week.
XCkK01N.jpeg

I’m printing in ABS. I know some people have difficulty printing ABS due to warping but so far with my enclosure I’ve been having success. My printer is a Prusa MK2.5S with a IKEA enclosure. I print at .15mm layer height but I also have been taking advantage of Variable Layer Height to squeeze out detail and print time. I’m printing at 15% infill and it seems super light but pretty damn durable and flexes well. I glued them up with an ABS juice of ABS and acetone, mostly being acetone but I’m adding more ABS supports to see what mixture works best.
49BcjhG.jpeg
The actual alignment went spectacular to my surprise. I also did a test fit.
5qQsORo.jpeg
Only the outside edges of the belt tabs were having trouble but I bowed the abs by using filament boxes as spacers in the back gap and it made the difference to get those last tabs to set up.
LTV9rZE.jpeg
Currently printing Nico’s Modified Helmet from [mention=34575]TKModder421[/mention] so stay tuned for that glue up as well.

Excited to see this armor come together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2024 at 4:27 PM, TheSweatshop said:

I have Yuming and PewPewCrafts as well. I'm also looking at Alain Rivard / SciFiHeaven's Files via @DavidF's build. I'll also probably buy Galactic Armory's set as I'm a fan anyways. 

Anyways, I'm starting with Mr. Paul's Abdomen, I'll also likely use his arms and shins.

You can use Mr Paul's shoulders as well. As far as the shins go, Ryder Kinion recently used the shins and Mr Paul is now selling the TK cover strips to use with them, so he bought them and is waiting for them to get through customs. I'm excited to see how they all come together

• TheSweatshop changed the title to TheSweatshop's 3D Printed Rogue One TK Stormtrooper

I’ve been printing a lot while out of state for a work contract, I’ve updated the first post, organized and put the current status of Armor parts.

I’ve continually tweaked my print settings and I’m happy with how it’s looking, I’m still not so sure about the helmet since I have to split parts and I am worried about them lining up for the glue up, particularly warping depending on print orientation.

Current finishing plan is to pretty closely follow @OddViking327’s video on finishing 3D prints.

YouTube- Finishing 3D prints - Filling and sanding print lines for props

One step I’m changing though is to start with a coat or two of UV resin for the initial fill and make a barrier between the ABS and Bondo/Acetone slurry. I’m not sure it would effect the ABS as it looks like it dries super fast but I am playing safe, and also hoping that UV resin will add to the armors lifetime durability.

HOb2lIa.jpg
Raw print

iJAIgip.jpg

The UV resin I’m brushing on.

zKgKjM9.jpeg

One cured coat

S17ScUO.jpeg

zMdldxw.mp4

2 cured coats

One caution I’m running into is that the way I had it sitting with sloped edges pointing downwards, it’s nearly imperceptible while I’m working but the resin wanted to pool near edges. After curing it you can see and feel a raised bump around the edge. Something to be careful of, likely easily sanded flat again but it’s something. You can see it better when the UV flashlight is on it like in this picture.

RCmVWbE.jpeg

darker edge means it’s thicker

• Like 2

A good tip for any high spots is wrap your sandpaper around a small piece of wood.

Even with a 3D resin printer you can get pooling from time to time depending on the orientation.

Hopefully this gives you some more strength and cut down on some printing.

I'm working on making some comparison photos of various armor sets, I have PewPewCrafts, Akira Yumings, and SciFiHeaven/AlainRivard's sets to compare. Is there any other sets worth adding to the mix for comparing Chest, Back, Cod, Butt, or Thighs to assemble the closest mix? @BigJasoni @TKModder421 @gmrhodes13

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSweatshop said:

I'm working on making some comparison photos of various armor sets, I have PewPewCrafts, Akira Yumings, and SciFiHeaven/AlainRivard's sets to compare. Is there any other sets worth adding to the mix for comparing Chest, Back, Cod, Butt, or Thighs to assemble the closest mix? @BigJasoni @TKModder421 @gmrhodes13

I've not seen the SciFiHeaven files myself, others may have. I don't think there are any else I would recommend currently

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I've not seen the SciFiHeaven files myself, others may have. I don't think there are any else I would recommend currently

My guess upon first look is that it's likely gonna fill out most if not all of the missing parts of my kit. It's the only kit I've seen that has some of the details only seen on Mr Paul's set.

15 hours ago, TheSweatshop said:

PPCDIGITAL on etsy is another. 

Here's a link

Edit: just realised PewPewCrafts is PPC smh 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Jedxh
  • Like 1

I'm working on making some comparison photos of various armor sets, I have PewPewCrafts, Akira Yumings, and SciFiHeaven/AlainRivard's sets to compare. Is there any other sets worth adding to the mix for comparing Chest, Back, Cod, Butt, or Thighs to assemble the closest mix? [mention=37661]BigJasoni[/mention] [mention=34575]TKModder421[/mention] [mention=16782]gmrhodes13[/mention]

Those are the only files currently worth mentioning, imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here are some comparison shots, there is definitely some perspective vs orthographic issues when doing a comparison like this, but I think it shows well the differences. I'm definitely surprised at the outcomes but I want to see what y'all think @BigJasoni @TKModder421 @gmrhodes13

MAUOMMV.png

bUdp7DT.png

GkMucto.png

ShuXgEB.png

sjelONj.png

FPJwuv9.png

lOxRcg2.png

kqGxRHn.png

JGVLfqj.png

XTdNIOo.png

2bJDmGT.png

9hABV5x.png

QnXcK7U.png

GMwUgEn.png

a1C2opp.png

kz2GHMp.png

aQcqKr4.png

cJtkZ5H.png

Edited by TheSweatshop
  • Like 2

Nice work, doesn't look too dissimilar, apart from sizing on some areas. I guess really it would come down to sizing to fit the person which may impact the look. It still amazes me the skill of those who design and make 3D files, I designed a spacer once, also added some recesses to some files but that's the limit of my skills and brain power.

That is a truly excellent job of comparison.

I agree with @gmrhodes13 : it's brilliant that we have talented artists doing such excellent work, and I'm also nowhere near their skill level.

However I'm also quite focused on trying to get the most accurate/best-fitting set of files so this is very interesting to me.

Would you mind doing a comparison from the side? This photo for example?

-- David

The comps are great! Thanks for doing that, really gives some good insight. They all look pretty good. Seems that they all are slightly shorter than the on screen pics on the rib cage area

On 7/26/2024 at 6:34 AM, DavidF said:

That is a truly excellent job of comparison.

I agree with @gmrhodes13 : it's brilliant that we have talented artists doing such excellent work, and I'm also nowhere near their skill level.

However I'm also quite focused on trying to get the most accurate/best-fitting set of files so this is very interesting to me.

Would you mind doing a comparison from the side? This photo for example?

-- David

Currently working on this comparison. After posting the photos, I’m gonna go back in and adjust angles to give them their best chance at comparison to the real deal. One that seems to stand out is PewPewCrafts. I was under the impression that because he outputs so much so quickly that it wouldn’t be the most accurate, I seem to be wrong. Lining up these photos has shown me that his work is incredibly close, but missing some final polish. Especially on this current photo, it’s uncanny how close it is. After sitting with these comparisons, I’m confident that I may be able to tweak PPC’s model and improve it. I’ve done some remodeling that I will post about soon once the new parts are printed.

• Like 3

I agree that the PewPewCrafts chestplate looks the best of the three.

I have been able to get good results with the SciFiHeaven chestplate, but I had to take a heatgun to it to get the best shape in places.

I'm looking forward to seeing further comparisons.