TK ANH Stunt by CloseTheBlastDoor

Wow you're doing a great job! Aside from bringing your forearms down so that the gap between the bicep and forearm and forearm and hand plates are roughly the same, you could also raise the height of your TD. This is taken off the Quick Reference CRL Guide:

7GVYXmM.png

You can see ideally the TD is towards the top of the belt with the top of the metal clips just visible

ZyHe2pO.jpg

vMJ5KT8.jpg

For basic I'm assuming what you have should fine but you'll want to raise it if you go for EIB down the road. From what I'm seeing EIB something you definitely have the skills for and I think you'll enjoy the process

I had to do something similar. In fact I had to cut down the length of my metal hooks and reshape them for a better TD position. If your GML is fine with what you have you can save this step for level 2/3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBar said:

you could also raise the height of your TD

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! It's a funny thing about the TD: I had it higher before, but then I saw somewhere that the row of buttons is supposed to point towards the back, not up, so I rolled the whole thing out a bit. I'm not a fan of how it looks rolled out like that, so I might have to make entirely new clips at some point.

3 hours ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! It's a funny thing about the TD: I had it higher before, but then I saw somewhere that the row of buttons is supposed to point towards the back, not up, so I rolled the whole thing out a bit. I'm not a fan of how it looks rolled out like that, so I might have to make entirely new clips at some point.

I had to do the same thing. The donut in my armor was pointed up not out. Once I rolled out my TD it then hung too low, so I ended up removing about 3/4" of the bottom of the clips and drilling two new holes and that solved my problem.

Before:

fD1Vd7r.jpg

After:

7ZbfvgV.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JBar said:

I had to do the same thing. The donut in my armor was pointed up not out. Once I rolled out my TD it then hung too low, so I ended up removing about 3/4" of the bottom of the clips and drilling two new holes and that solved my problem.

Before:

fD1Vd7r.jpg

After:

7ZbfvgV.jpg

Oh yeah, that's a good solution!

6 minutes ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Oh yeah, that's a good solution!

Don't stress too much, should be ok as is for basic approval, higher levels would need some adjustment

• Like 1

Still waiting on approval, but in the meantime I want to start thinking about heat. For sure it was too hot in the helmet, so I'm gonna get some fans installed. I think the neck seal cuts off a lot of air flow. The gloves also get pretty hot, and I've seen people use cotton liners, so I'll get those too.

Any other tips on staying cool? I couldn't stay in the suit for more than 20 minutes!

6 hours ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Still waiting on approval, but in the meantime I want to start thinking about heat. For sure it was too hot in the helmet, so I'm gonna get some fans installed. I think the neck seal cuts off a lot of air flow. The gloves also get pretty hot, and I've seen people use cotton liners, so I'll get those too.

Any other tips on staying cool? I couldn't stay in the suit for more than 20 minutes!

Glove liners are what I use, I take multiple pairs to a troop, every time you take off your gloves for a break you have sweat soaked inner gloves, a fresh pair can make all the difference.

I have two fans in most of my helmets, although I normally only use one and the other as backup. Feeling air across your face tricks your mind in to how hot you really are. 39deg C was my hottest troop, sweat ran from everywhere and whenever there was a little breath of wind the sweat soaked under suit would feel cooler. For really cold troops I use a cotton shirt and pants under my compression shirt and pants.

Some troopers have used a vest cooler, I tried one once and found it too cold, I don't have much tolerance for temperature changes, 1-2deg and I'm either too hot or too cold.

Lots of different designs out there

1ccc93c9-b36e-4d44-8322-22f320256479.webp.de3f71a72bafb16fb0b456668f01a48a.webp

A towel is worth carrying, nice to wipe the sweat off. I added my padding in the helmet with velcro so I could remove and wash, amazing how much sweat can build up in the helmet. Don't get a shock when you take of your armor and find trickles of sweat here and there LOL.

Any drinks with electrolytes can also help on those long hot troops, I first drank water but found I needed the little extra from energy troops.

Last and most importantly, don't carry on if you are too hot, I did for one event, we had a line of younglings waiting for photos and I just pushed it a little too hard but should have stopped. I thought I was ok to go on another 5 minutes but nearly didn't' make it to the change area, cold wet towel and another energy drink and I was ok.

• Like 2

https://a.co/d/bOaKzxU

Rubber gloves are ridiculous for hot weather. Fans in the helmet, a quality, breathable undersuit, and thin, lightweight running gloves are the way to go!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Have had plenty of success with NOMEX gloves, they are breathable so no sweaty hands.

Rubber gloves here in Queensland, Australia are a rarity for trooping due to heat and crazy summer humidity.

• Like 1

Thanks all, for those tips! For the approval photos, I was only in my living room, which was like 70 F, and sweating like crazy :lol:. Maybe I was nervous, too.

I will figure this out, BUT... I JUST GOT THE EMAIL THAT I WAS APPROVED FOR THE GOLDEN GATE GARRISON!!!! :peace::salute::jc_doublethumbup: I am so overjoyed!!! Thank you to all of you for all of the support you gave me! I could have never done it without you! It's an amazing feeling! I will write more later, but just wanted to let y'all know. Party time!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Thanks all, for those tips! For the approval photos, I was only in my living room, which was like 70 F, and sweating like crazy :lol:. Maybe I was nervous, too.

I will figure this out, BUT... I JUST GOT THE EMAIL THAT I WAS APPROVED FOR THE GOLDEN GATE GARRISON!!!! :peace::salute::jc_doublethumbup: I am so overjoyed!!! Thank you to all of you for all of the support you gave me! I could have never done it without you! It's an amazing feeling! I will write more later, but just wanted to let y'all know. Party time!!!!

Congratulations!! Looking forward to trooping with you. :)

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 9:28 AM, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

I remember feeling really hot in my armor in the beginning but now I feel super comfortable. I do think I felt nervous, and also I wasn't as good at getting dressed so I would get hot wrestling my armor. Helmet fans will help a little, and I only used the rubber gloves for my Centurion photos (otherwise I use Gorilla Grip gloves from Home Depot.)

You could go with something like a cooling vest but I have heard those don't actually stay cool long, and I assume it'll add some weird bulk.

Instead I think as you get more comfortable in your armor you'll feel cooler, and it's more about being smart while trooping and not pushing yourself. Stay in the shade/cooler areas, take breaks, and stay hydrated. Our handlers are great and will also check on you.

In the end it's hard to avoid being uncomfortable some of the time, but the fun of trooping outweighs it.

• Like 1

I did the warmest troop I've done yet this past July.  It was 32C, no breeze, blue sky.  I went four hours between being in the sun, under some shade and two short breaks for a snack and hydrate. Two fans going in the helmet but no cool packs.  It takes a bit of time to work up to extended periods in the heat.  Don't overdue it at first.  Take plenty of breaks to get some water into you and cool down.  Check in with your trooping buddies to make sure you are all doing ok.  No one needs to play the hero and end up passing out.  Have fun!

Bart

• Like 1

Awesome news  :dancing-trooper:, congratulations and welcome to the ranks, once you have your TKID issued request TK access here :duim::salute:

• Like 1

Congratulations Trooper!

Bart

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 3:49 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Glove liners are what I use, I take multiple pairs to a troop, every time you take off your gloves for a break you have sweat soaked inner gloves, a fresh pair can make all the difference.

I have two fans in most of my helmets, although I normally only use one and the other as backup. Feeling air across your face tricks your mind in to how hot you really are. 39deg C was my hottest troop, sweat ran from everywhere and whenever there was a little breath of wind the sweat soaked under suit would feel cooler. For really cold troops I use a cotton shirt and pants under my compression shirt and pants.

Some troopers have used a vest cooler, I tried one once and found it too cold, I don't have much tolerance for temperature changes, 1-2deg and I'm either too hot or too cold.

Lots of different designs out there

1ccc93c9-b36e-4d44-8322-22f320256479.webp.de3f71a72bafb16fb0b456668f01a48a.webp

A towel is worth carrying, nice to wipe the sweat off. I added my padding in the helmet with velcro so I could remove and wash, amazing how much sweat can build up in the helmet. Don't get a shock when you take of your armor and find trickles of sweat here and there LOL.

Any drinks with electrolytes can also help on those long hot troops, I first drank water but found I needed the little extra from energy troops.

Last and most importantly, don't carry on if you are too hot, I did for one event, we had a line of younglings waiting for photos and I just pushed it a little too hard but should have stopped. I thought I was ok to go on another 5 minutes but nearly didn't' make it to the change area, cold wet towel and another energy drink and I was ok.

Thank you for that detailed explanation, I will take it to heart! I'm sorry you had that episode pushing so hard, but am glad that you were OK!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 9:56 AM, TheRascalKing said:

https://a.co/d/bOaKzxU

Rubber gloves are ridiculous for hot weather. Fans in the helmet, a quality, breathable undersuit, and thin, lightweight running gloves are the way to go!

Thanks for the tips! Those gloves look nice.

On 8/31/2024 at 11:16 PM, Sly11 said:

Have had plenty of success with NOMEX gloves, they are breathable so no sweaty hands.

Rubber gloves here in Queensland, Australia are a rarity for trooping due to heat and crazy summer humidity.

Thanks, I can't imagine what it's like to troop in that heat!

10 hours ago, shashachu said:

I remember feeling really hot in my armor in the beginning but now I feel super comfortable. I do think I felt nervous, and also I wasn't as good at getting dressed so I would get hot wrestling my armor. Helmet fans will help a little, and I only used the rubber gloves for my Centurion photos (otherwise I use Gorilla Grip gloves from Home Depot.)

You could go with something like a cooling vest but I have heard those don't actually stay cool long, and I assume it'll add some weird bulk.

Instead I think as you get more comfortable in your armor you'll feel cooler, and it's more about being smart while trooping and not pushing yourself. Stay in the shade/cooler areas, take breaks, and stay hydrated. Our handlers are great and will also check on you.

In the end it's hard to avoid being uncomfortable some of the time, but the fun of trooping outweighs it.

I'm glad that things improved for you. And I'm glad it's OK to have the rubber gloves for approval, but switch them out for actual troops.

I can already see what a godsend the handlers will be, too!

I am thinking also that the neck seal blocks airflow into the helmet, and maybe there are some clever ways to mitigate that issue. I'm thinking some airline tubing under the seal that runs between the helmet and the underside of the chest plate. I'm sure there are better solutions out there :).

9 hours ago, BAZINGA said:

I did the warmest troop I've done yet this past July.  It was 32C, no breeze, blue sky.  I went four hours between being in the sun, under some shade and two short breaks for a snack and hydrate. Two fans going in the helmet but no cool packs.  It takes a bit of time to work up to extended periods in the heat.  Don't overdue it at first.  Take plenty of breaks to get some water into you and cool down.  Check in with your trooping buddies to make sure you are all doing ok.  No one needs to play the hero and end up passing out.  Have fun!

Bart

Definitely good advice! I still can't imagine getting to your level of comfort with that, though!

8 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Awesome news  :dancing-trooper:, congratulations and welcome to the ranks, once you have your TKID issued request TK access here :duim::salute:

Done! I could not have done this without you, Glen! A thousand thanks. If I'm ever Down Under, or if you're ever in the San Francisco area, I want to buy you dinner!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Done! I could not have done this without you, Glen! A thousand thanks. If I'm ever Down Under, or if you're ever in the San Francisco area, I want to buy you dinner!

You are very welcome, was great to help you one your journey, troopers helping troopers. I'll definitely take you up when I finally get to the US, have a lot of places on my to do list, same goes for if you make it down here :duim::salute:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You are very welcome, was great to help you one your journey, troopers helping troopers. I'll definitely take you up when I finally get to the US, have a lot of places on my to do list, same goes for if you make it down here :duim::salute:

Awesome! I hope we get to do that travel (but not at the exact same time, since we'll miss each other :laugh1:)

• Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 10:49 AM, CloseTheBlastDoor said:

Awesome! Congratulations brother. If you ever venture to the Reno area...