Welcome to the Night trooper resource thread for CRL creation

Just when we thought there were no gray patches on the helmet, a quick review of our screen caps show we do lol.

This one showing both gold and gray patches

mOeZq8q.png

There's quite a few with grey patches.

ahsoka1x08_1972.thumb.jpg.2970c2d76975e318f9539206553f6a11.jpgahsoka1x08_1395.jpg.bf59211492b44c6dfe3df547eb805c8b.jpgtofay.png.f48897fec666d4652dac07b4ff52f350.png

Albeit this is no doubt a computer generated image there are plenty here

ahsoka1x06_1178.thumb.jpg.3a4b9e39a00f0993955f292bfa794897.jpg

Many identical

hlem.png.472355b7a250a41615ed644bb76eb5f2.png

• Like 2

I had the desire to throw some assistance at this CRL. Hopefully this is actually a help. :laugh1:

Shoulder Armor

• One on each shoulder.
  • The shoulders are considered effectively symmetrical; they may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders and may have a black elastic strap that wraps around the inside of the bicep.
  • Light to medium weathering as per references
  • The shoulders can be white, contain a gray repair section or be completely gray as per reference's builder's discretion on how this composition looks is allowable.
  • One shoulder must contain the gold cracking (Kintsugi) effect. Paint pens or hand painted cracking to the surface is allowable.
  • The cracking designs are up to the builder's discretion, as there are multiple references to work off.

• Red wrapping may be added, as per references if desired. Red wrappings fold under the shoulder edge.
  • It is suggested that one shoulder have either red wrappings or a grey repair section per screen references.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Cracking (Kintsugi) effect, must be created using a Dremel or similar tool into the surface, gold colored paint or paint pens can be used to fill in the cracking.

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

• There is no swoop on the shoulder bell raised area.
  • There is no elastic strap that wraps around the inside of the bicep.
  • Gold imitation leaf must be used for any patching and filling of cracks. Real gold leaf can be used but is not a requirement.

Upper Arm Armor

• Both biceps are symmetrical and interchangeable.
  • The front strip is bevelled and approximately ⅛" thick that does not extend beyond the bicep, and has a smaller cover strip layered thereon.
  • The upper arms can be white or contain a gray repair section as per reference's builder's discretion on how this composition looks is allowable.
  • One upper arm must contain the gold cracking (Kintsugi) effect. Paint pens or hand painted cracking to the surface is allowable.
  • The cracking designs are up to the builder's discretion, as there are multiple references to work off.

• Red wrapping may be added, as per references if desired. Red wrappings continue around the armor and may have the appearance of loose ends.
  • Wraps fold under the back opening and allow the armor to open and close as it does normally

• Cracking (Kintsugi) effect, must be created using a Dremel or similar tool into the surface, gold colored paint or paint pens can be used to fill in the cracking.

• Cover strips will cover both the front and back joints.
  • Biceps are loosely held closed in the back with elastic, shock cord (bungee cord) or white Velcro and are designed to remain flexible.
  • Gold imitation leaf must be used for any patching and filling of cracks. Real gold leaf can be used but is not a requirement.

Forearm Armor

• The front strip is bevelled and approximately ⅛" thick that does not extend beyond the bicep, and has a smaller cover strip layered thereon.
  • The forearms can be white or contain a gray repair section as per reference's builder's discretion on how this composition looks is allowable.
  • One forearm must contain the gold cracking (Kintsugi) effect. Paint pens or hand painted cracking to the surface is allowable.

• Red wrapping may be added, as per references if desired. Red wrappings continue around the armor.
  • Wraps fold under the back opening and allow the armor to open and close as it does normally.
  • It is suggested that one forearm have red wrappings per screen references.

• Forearms are loosely held closed in the back with elastic, shock cord (bungee cord) or white Velcro and are designed to remain flexible.
  • Cover strips will cover both the top and bottom joints.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, revlimiter said:

Shoulder Armor

Hmm I wonder how would this be done on rubber shoulder straps? My qualm with using a Dremel on rubber ones would be potentiality damaging the integrity and causing splitting or ripping.

• Like 1

Definitely helpful Adam.

The more you look at all the references, the more you realize there are so many variations on screen. This is a complex costume of opportunities making it a little tougher to lock anything down.

I think if we get it wrong, GML confusion will ensue

If we get it right, and frequently use words like builder's discretion, similar to references, can etc etc, there is plenty of fun and individualism or let's call it "Builder's license" that can be used.

Can you imagine a garrison or at a con a group of Night Troopers all looking different and then throw in a Captain Enoch would look! Totally amazing.

That's even before the lights come on and it's zombie mode!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jedxh said:

Hmm I wonder how would this be done on rubber shoulder straps? My qualm with using a Dremel on rubber ones would be potentiality damaging the integrity and causing splitting or ripping.

Right!

My guess many will go 3D printed parts for this. Not sure how 3D printed rubber would work either, but there are other flexible filaments available too.

If someone were to mold them out of a form of flexible plastic, that could also be a good possibility.

Rubber shoulder bridges are also optional sold by a vendor and not necessarily supplied with a kit (maybe someone does, I haven't looked into that) There are only Jimmy and 850 making R1 kits currently with 3D printing on the rise as we have seen with Enock.

Maybe the CRL could spec that the shoulder bridges DON'T need dremeled kintsugi? 

That said I've got my own mold for R1 rubber shoulder bridges. Would be relatively easy to make another with a kintsugi pattern in it. my problem has been keeping the rubber white... Mine yellow just sitting in the garage and it's unpleasant. 

ahsoka1x06_1503.jpg

ahsoka1x06_1203.jpg

ahsoka1x06_1250.jpg

ahsoka1x08_0001.jpg

ahsoka1x08_2782.jpg

ahsoka1x08_1522.jpg

A quick perusal reveals NO kintsugi on the shoulder straps. Dirt and red ribbons, but no kintsugi. Can anyone back this up?

• Like 1

This was a good find. A ton of real NTTKs and none with any kintsugi on the shoulder straps.

ahsoka1x08_1120.jpg

I'm looking for hand armor today as well and see zero with grey on them. Lots of kintsugi and a few with red ribbons, but no grey hand guards. ahsoka1x08_1131.jpg

Ribbon glove boy can be seen when Ezra hops onto the ship.

ahsoka1x08_1974.jpg

Shoulder Straps

• They may be affixed with Velcro or adhesive.
  • Light to medium weathering as per references.
  • No gold cracking (kintsugi) on the shoulder straps is present. Grey repair sections are not allowed on these pieces. 
  • Red wrapping may be added, as per references if desired. Red wrappings fold under the strap edge.

• It is suggested to only wrap one shoulder strap with red ribbons. 

These shall be inserted behind the chest tabs and into slots of the backplate.

Hand Plates

• Roughly pentagonal in shape, the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove. As an alternative to plastic, these may be made out of latex or latex-like material.
  • Hand plates are white with no grey replacements or grey repair sections allowed.
  • Hand plates may contain the gold cracking (Kintsugi) effect. Paint pens or hand painted cracking to the surface is allowable.

• Red wrapping may be added, as per references if desired. Red wrappings continue around the glove.

• Hand guards shall be made of plastic.

• Hand guards should follow the correct RO shape, ANH hand guards are not acceptable.
  • A small indent in the front of the hand plate shall be present.

-------------------------------------------------

On the shoulder straps, it seems logical that LFL wanted them to always be white. If they were grey on screen, they may look like they were missing. I've yet to find a reference with a grey shoulder strap. I bet one exists, but I would also bet that it would be CGI. Kintsugi also seems to not exist on these.

On the hand guards, I haven't found any grey there either. Seems logical that a grey one could appear "missing" on screen and ruin the armor look, so LFL spec'd them to all be white. But they all seem to have kintsugi on them. 

No shoulder bridge Kintsugi then. :)

I'm actually further ahead on the Wiki document than the posts here, so give me a moment to catch up. I've got about half written and already with changes from the original draft posted at top of this thread. I'll look to see what needs changing on the bridges and post what we have so far in the next day or two.

• Like 1

There are some with grey on the handplates, plenty with dremel lines, gold and some with wraps

hand.thumb.jpg.fe554111e9dfac2f39e84b64ab6e51fc.jpg

hands.thumb.png.66286e18a2f0ac7023f9fb868de4c032.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

There are some with grey on the handplates, plenty with dremel lines, gold and some with wraps

hand.thumb.jpg.fe554111e9dfac2f39e84b64ab6e51fc.jpg

OMG. I literally JUST looked at that trooper (Ribbon Face) and didn't notice his grey hand. Nice spotting!

I looked at hands for a literal half hour today lol

• Like 1

They key to the grey seems to be less is more.  Seems that they all have some, and if there is a big panel like a helmet or chest plate it's not all of it, and then there is maybe 1 or 2 small patches.

Ideally I'd say match a screen trooper but this is also a rare chance for members to express them selves. So long as they aren't solid grey I think we can be reasonably open with the wording.

23 hours ago, revlimiter said:

A quick perusal reveals NO kintsugi on the shoulder straps. Dirt and red ribbons, but no kintsugi. Can anyone back this up?

All of the close ups we have, not one has any cracking on a shoulder strap.

• Like 2

Andrew found ONE instance of grey shoulder straps.  This boy at the top of the page who also had the grey repair sections in his bucket. He's quite the unique trooper.

mOeZq8q.png

The grey straps match the chest so nice that I didn't even realize what I was seeing. White would have really stuck out on him.  So that gives us grey hand plates AND grey shoulder straps. But at least no kintsugi shoulders.

Shoulder Straps

• They may be affixed with Velcro or adhesive.
  • No gold cracking (kintsugi) on the shoulder straps is present.
  • The shoulder straps can be white or gray as per reference's. Builder's discretion on how this composition looks is allowable.
  • Red wrapping may be added, as per references if desired. Red wrappings fold under the strap edge.

• It is suggested to only wrap one shoulder strap with red ribbons. 

These shall be inserted behind the chest tabs and into slots of the backplate.

Hand Plates

• Roughly pentagonal in shape, the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove. As an alternative to plastic, these may be made out of latex or latex-like material.
  • Hand plates may contain the gold cracking (Kintsugi) effect. Paint pens or hand painted cracking to the surface is allowable.
  • Hand plates can be white or gray, or have grey repaired sections as per reference's. Builder's discretion on how this composition looks is allowable.

• Red wrapping may be added, as per references if desired. Red wrappings continue around the glove.

• Hand guards shall be made of plastic.

• Hand guards should follow the correct RO shape, ANH hand guards are not acceptable.
  • A small indent in the front of the hand plate shall be present.

------------------------------

Can/should the CRL have a line like "It is suggested"? Trying to suggest a certain look without forcing a builder to do an exact thing seems hard to word.

• Like 2

Yeah I got that in there already, but there is also troopers that look like they have gold patch on a bridge, this is in the WPI post on page one, not the top post which I will replace with the WIP post once done.