WIP 3D print PLA TLJ Phasma Build!

Hello all! I’m so excited and terrified to share my progress on my build!

My goal is to 3D print the entire suit. I still have a few pieces left to both design and print. I’ve heard that my greeblies may be a bit too square and would love y’all’s input! Any feedback you have on any of the parts or build would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!

eVrDxAp.jpg

k8magPG.jpg

With 3D prints I like to sand everything first with 80grit sandpaper, this will get rid of most of the lines, I then apply 3 coasts of spray putty (primer filler in other parts of the world). Leave dry for a few days, wet sand, makes the paper last longer and less dust. Spot (blade) putty for anything remaining then wet sand those areas again. Coat with primer and you are ready for paint.

Prep work is the key, especially for a character with such a shiny appearance.

Looking forward to seeing your progress

• 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

Pretty stoked about this first layer of gloss black! She's giving reflective!

IMG_9857.JPG

Nice work, may be a reflection but can see a few print lines still?

Be very careful applying paint and make sure the part is completely dry, thinners in paint can soften filler/primer and allow lines to be more noticeable. Rather say something now than see you apply a top coat ;) 

• 3 months later...

Has anyone run into any issues where the airbrush works just fine until you put the Alclad in? 😅 I’m working with a Master Airbrush G22. Distilled water sprays fine, paint sprays fine, Alclad sprays fine for maybe 10-15 seconds, then just air. I’ve shaken the Alclad forever, I’ve tried higher PSI, and I’ve completely disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the brush, and same issue.

If anyone has any tips, I would be incredibly appreciative!! Thank you!!

1 hour ago, MikeWazowski said:

Has anyone run into any issues where the airbrush works just fine until you put the Alclad in? 😅 I’m working with a Master Airbrush G22. Distilled water sprays fine, paint sprays fine, Alclad sprays fine for maybe 10-15 seconds, then just air. I’ve shaken the Alclad forever, I’ve tried higher PSI, and I’ve completely disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the brush, and same issue.

If anyone has any tips, I would be incredibly appreciative!! Thank you!!

What nozzle do you have, I have used alcad with a 0.5 nozzle (same for aluminuster) and had no issues. I did find it sprayed better with a lower air flow. You can adjust the flow on the rear of the brush on most models.

I’ve tried higher PSI,

Alcald quote a pretty low pressure, 15PSI from what I remember.  I've not had this issue on my very cheap 0.4 nozzle air brush.  When I got my best results it was with barely any paint actually coming out of the air brush, mostly just the air.

This is a handy guide for alclad I used before:

https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/alclad-ii-faq/

I didn’t even think about nozzle size! I think I’m rocking a 0.3 so I will try bumping up to troubleshoot! Thank you for mentioning the better results with less output. I last used the airbrush for a larger piece just coating it with paint so I’m definitely used to more and faster coverage.

thank you thank you thank you!!!

• Like 1

Please consider printing my greeblies in resin to sharpen up your kit!

PLA isn't considered a particularly robust material for cosplay, especially in the heat, so keep us posted how it holds up!

Edited by TheRascalKing

23 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Please consider printing my greeblies in resin to sharper up your kit!

PLA isn't considered a particularly robust material for cosplay, especially in the heat, so keep us posted how it holds up!

This is a wise consideration, not only for the sharpness of a resin print but the details are pretty darn accurate.

Ooooooh that’s such a good idea, thank you! I will absolutely do that as my resin printer is currently collecting dust lol

I plan on going back and printing … probably the majority of the suit again before submitting for approval. 😅 About 85% was done on a very old CR-10 and I’d like to clean them up on my K1 Max. I’m a little afraid of ABS but is that the best way to go? 

• Like 2

Ooooooh that’s such a good idea, thank you! I will absolutely do that as my resin printer is currently collecting dust lol

I plan on going back and printing … probably the majority of the suit again before submitting for approval. 😅 About 85% was done on a very old CR-10 and I’d like to clean them up on my K1 Max. I’m a little afraid of ABS but is that the best way to go? 

Since the K1 Max is enclosed, ABS is generally best if you can print it consistently. If not, many of us at least use PETG over PLA.