KJ Build thread? Walt's Trooper Factory Kit

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

An old trick was to drill a hole where it will not be seen (under a clip or control panel) then use compressed air in the hole and one cap should pop off, then you have access to knock the other cap off. 

Adding to this idea. Drill a small hole where the TD clip screws will be mounted. Then you're not really doing any damage

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

Adding to this idea. Drill a small hole where the TD clip screws will be mounted. Then you're not really doing any damage

You know I was going to add that but couldn't see any clips on his TD images ;) 

7 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You know I was going to add that but couldn't see any clips on his TD images ;) 

:laugh1: I figured it was coming

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 6:20 PM, Sly11 said:

You can use the boiling water method to try and loosen up the end caps.

Boil the kettle, pour water into a pot, immerse one end cap into the water approx 3/4 of it width into the water holding it vertically. Keep it there for a minute, so the plastic can heat and soften a little, then try and wiggle or screw that end off.

The aim is to get the ABS to soften as it will slightly expand.

I think once you get one end off, the other will be much easier as you can access it from the inside and gently tap it off.

Use a broom handle slide the TD over the top and tap it against the top of the broom stick, it should come off no problem, just take it nice and easy.

The TD endcaps were successfully removed!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MSF Productions said:

The TD endcaps were successfully removed!

How did you end up getting them to come off?

58 minutes ago, dblcross said:

I could be wrong but It looks like your chest plate needs to come down and overlap the ab plate slightly.3Tw5y04.jpg Heres a picture of mine. YAV3lCM.jpg

I haven't taken any new photos but I fixed that, one of my garrison members called it out, easiest fix 

• Like 1

I will join the others here in noting to feel free to keep asking questions and posting updates! I (as many of us here) certainly enjoy reading the build threads of others!

Although I built a shock trooper, the kit I used was a Walt's Trooper Factory ANH kit that I then modified, so I have familiarity with the specific make of this kit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tilheyra said:

I will join the others here in noting to feel free to keep asking questions and posting updates! I (as many of us here) certainly enjoy reading the build threads of others!

Although I built a shock trooper, the kit I used was a Walt's Trooper Factory ANH kit that I then modified, so I have familiarity with the specific make of this kit. 

And that's some good help. He's got an awesome kit Kody.

• Like 1

Had to throw almost everything on

I was amazed I was able to put almost everything on without assistance.

The clanking of the plastic when moving around was very pleasing.

To do

-Helmet- wearing a placeholder helmet until I get my actual helmet finished, I'm going to get some help on that

-Belt assembly

-Thigh ammo belt

-the ab plate boxes

-any and all quality of life tweaks that need to be done leading up to submitting, getting help from local Garrison members as I make my way there

zwZPwB9.jpg

lHg5dP3.jpg

yH0u4Xq.jpg

u9yskC0.jpg

wRDhAGE.jpg

ZB84vo1.jpg

FcBJgBG.jpg

7DfnjKb.jpg

• Like 1

It is always amazing putting on the full armor for the first time!

On 1/20/2024 at 12:55 AM, MSF Productions said:

To do

-Helmet- wearing a placeholder helmet until I get my actual helmet finished, I'm going to get some help on that

-Belt assembly

-Thigh ammo belt

-the ab plate boxes

-any and all quality of life tweaks that need to be done leading up to submitting, getting help from local Garrison members as I make my way there

Were you able to address the issue with the cover strips on the front of the thighs with your GML? I recall a discussion earlier in the thread concerning the width of these cover strips and distance between the raised ridges on the front of the thighs. If there is an issue, it is certainly easier to make changes before you attach the thigh ammo belt. 

On 1/20/2024 at 1:55 PM, MSF Productions said:

Had to throw almost everything on

I was amazed I was able to put almost everything on without assistance.

The clanking of the plastic when moving around was very pleasing.

To do

-Belt assembly

-Thigh ammo belt

-the ab plate boxes

u9yskC0.jpg

\

You may want to add some side shims to reduce the gaps between the abdomen and kidney (although this is for higher levels)

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor is no more than 1/2" (12.5mm) wide.
    • Any shims used to achieve this effect are of a similar material and color as the abdomen and kidney armor. Shims fit flush and seams are allowed.

You may want to add some side shims to reduce the gaps between the abdomen and kidney

+1 to this. Walts armor is VERRRY small and a good 95% of troopers need to add side shims. The molds seem to be made for the most petite troopers.

• 5 months later...

Took a leap of faith with the bucket after doing some realignment of the main body with another member and a GML yesterday.  I've been told to look at how wonky the screen used ones are- to embrace little bit of whackiness in mine.

If I can't dial in the helmet, I might just throw in the towel and buy one from a local maker.  This bucket has been a learning process but I don't know how many more rivet and screw holes this thing can take

I yoinked some screen grabs from another thread so I can at least feel better ab out my ear gaps

rhVP89l.jpg

Cz2GchP.jpg

9Il10Cu.jpg

mTwCG2O.jpg

image.png.d91c618882c33ee04259d23b6a300d53.png

image.png.d1bf259ad792701891b400588338665b.png

You do have a few issues there, I'll add some references so you can compare

Ear gap is a little big

DaveMANH08.jpg.91507eb053a0394b89390d3e3dbe32c8.jpgDaveMANH02.jpg.84e24073360fd38ed4e3807941faafc2.jpg

Brow trim a little uneven, should be straight

WI2bP5F.jpg?1  Mcn1ygN.jpg?1  oZJo3tr.jpg?2

Bottom screw is normally seen outside the rubber trim

fgrKPT4.jpg?1   ayl1VHO.jpg?1   VtBLiIO.jpg?2

Vocoder needs to be more defined

KKZqeB8.jpg?2   IMNaNgw.jpg?2 9ZBQOLM.jpg?3  zDan7Ak.jpg?1

Ears need black line around the grey as well as one bump

ZxLFLba.jpg?1   qF0VEpz.jpg?1   goYxik5.jpg?1

No paint on gums

s4AllTr.jpeg

Tears and traps black lines need to be a little more defined, masking with painters tape can help this. Another trick is to paint the black first then add the grey, easier to control the width of the lines that way. Corners should also be sharp and not rounded.

edT1WjB.jpg?1  pHM1ejB.jpg?1  2kEtqPS.jpg?2 

cdQh0Oa.jpg?2  qsArnTf.jpg?1  z2qWgDL.jpg?1

Don't get disheartened most of what you have just needs tweaking and a little more work, although I think your ears may be too thin on the bases to salvage. 

You do have a few issues there, I'll add some references so you can compare

Ear gap is a little big

DaveMANH08.jpg.91507eb053a0394b89390d3e3dbe32c8.jpgDaveMANH02.jpg.84e24073360fd38ed4e3807941faafc2.jpg

Brow trim a little uneven, should be straight

WI2bP5F.jpg?1  Mcn1ygN.jpg?1  oZJo3tr.jpg?2

Bottom screw is normally seen outside the rubber trim

fgrKPT4.jpg?1   ayl1VHO.jpg?1   VtBLiIO.jpg?2

Vocoder needs to be more defined

KKZqeB8.jpg?2   IMNaNgw.jpg?2 9ZBQOLM.jpg?3  zDan7Ak.jpg?1

Ears need black line around the grey as well as one bump

ZxLFLba.jpg?1   qF0VEpz.jpg?1   goYxik5.jpg?1

No paint on gums

s4AllTr.jpeg

Tears and traps black lines need to be a little more defined, masking with painters tape can help this. Another trick is to paint the black first then add the grey, easier to control the width of the lines that way. Corners should also be sharp and not rounded.

edT1WjB.jpg?1  pHM1ejB.jpg?1  2kEtqPS.jpg?2 

cdQh0Oa.jpg?2  qsArnTf.jpg?1  z2qWgDL.jpg?1

Don't get disheartened most of what you have just needs tweaking and a little more work, although I think your ears may be too thin on the bases to salvage. 

I see I see

Unfortunately I don't think I can save this, especially with the helmet ears- I tried closing the gap as best as I could not too long ago.  I might just have to throw in the towel on the bucket at least, and maybe just buy one.  Thanks for all the great helmet closeups

• Like 1

Most recent amount of helmet shenanigans.

I think I backed myself into a corner.  Going to talk to my local peeps, get some insight.  If there's nothing I can do- I think I'll have to bite the bullet and see if I can buy one

WkQBPWQ.jpg

UGlVxdV.jpg

This is a really informative thread on fitting the ears

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MSF Productions said:

The bit that really has me feeling like I really goofed up is that I clipped the ear screws inside, so it could be wearable- and now I can't unscrew the screws

If you are really careful about it, you could use a small wire brush to remove as much of the remaining burs as possible from the end of the screw where you cut, then a socket wrench to remove the nut. Also use a screwdriver on the head of the screw/bolt to prevent it from turning when using the socket wrench. Just be slow and careful when doing this so as not to damage the inside of the helmet.

Also, did your kit come with a second set of ears? WTF kits usually come with a second set.

1 minute ago, Tilheyra said:

If you are really careful about it, you could use a small wire brush to remove as much of the remaining burs as possible from the end of the screw where you cut, then a socket wrench to remove the nut. Also use a screwdriver on the head of the screw/bolt to prevent it from turning when using the socket wrench. Just be slow and careful when doing this so as not to damage the inside of the helmet.

Also, did your kit come with a second set of ears? WTF kits usually come with a second set.

I have 2 more sets of ears.  I'm mostly hesitant to do anything else because it took a decent chunk of drilling and riveting to get the actual body of the helmet to line up as best as I could.  I'm mostly just afraid to cause a split that won't be able to be fixed by removing and redoing anymore screws or rivets

Can you show a picture of the clipped ends of the screws?

A few options to deal with them. One is brute force and ignorance. Brass is pretty soft so you use a correct size socket and screw driver and turn. Other wise you are looking at filing or grinding the ends to remove the damage from the cut ends. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First full kit up

Left shin knee is inside the left thigh

Bib of my neck seal was also sticking out, a lot

Got asked about my undersuit possibly being baggy- it's skin tight, and is a chore to get in and out of

As of right now, this is where everything currently sits

5tU9YbP.jpeg

qPwt3rh.jpeg

nFokrkI.jpeg

da6Pz0P.jpeg