TK - Stormtrooper: Tales From the Galaxy's Edge: Last Call - First Order Lt. Gauge Research and Build Thread

TheRascalKing

On 8/13/2024 at 9:48 AM, themaninthesuitcase said:

Using this reference you might want make the front black gap slightly more triangular and less parallel if you can but otherwise this is far closer than the previous one.

qH8mP0o.jpeg

Added more triangle to the gap! Did another coat of red but now I have a little more gloss than I'd like, but it'll knock down with eventual weathering.

ric0gqX.jpeg

And again compared to the old one.

Looking good to glue, @themaninthesuitcase? No turning back after that.

1 hour ago, TheRascalKing said:

Looking good to glue, @themaninthesuitcase? No turning back after that.

Chris is currently away on holiday and may not comment until next week

Just in the middle the grey area looks like it could be swapped, smaller at top and larger on the bottom, the red area is also open more towards the bottom on the reference

ric0gqX.thumb.jpeg.d6db71cd39bc5e2c07a797dd24f121ad.jpeg

ui_journal_characters_gauge.png

Looks better in your earlier version

bet.png.a150729227475352254945e9fe57ac41.png

I see the points that Glen makes, and I think I agree with them. However, before addressing those I can't help but wonder how the form overall sits on your shoulders. I know you said back in 2023 that the game designer confirmed that the curvature of the pauldron was an artifact of the game, but I'm curious about what bend angle you decided on with your current design. In your first iteration the crest of the bend appeared parallel with the horizon, whereas some of the game/promo imagery shows a downward sloping profile. So nevermind the curve; I'm wondering about the bend slope. Looking further at your other posts, it appears this was actually previous asked here. If one were to replicate a downward slope on the shoulder line, the pauldron would be slightly conical in shape when laid to rest on, say, the floor, as opposed to flat. And btw, what method are you using for closure? Velcro or hooks?

zrHTYZO.thumb.jpg.d6c9950b24740d09945952c5cb5f1e12.jpg     VAKIsqv.jpeg

But then, of course, you have these images which appear to show a more perfectly level angle. :56pullhair:

p8IWK53.jpeg

Regardless of this, dude, it's looking GREAT! Someday maybe we'll get a character with a double TD. :laugh1:

On 8/18/2024 at 4:38 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Just in the middle the grey area looks like it could be swapped, smaller at top and larger on the bottom, the red area is also open more towards the bottom on the reference.

ric0gqX.thumb.jpeg.d6db71cd39bc5e2c07a797dd24f121ad.jpeg

EjkQvXf.jpeg

I can see your point and have modified the gray panels to suit, and will be painting them a bit darker gray this time around!

On 8/19/2024 at 6:44 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

I see the points that Glen makes, and I think I agree with them. However, before addressing those I can't help but wonder how the form overall sits on your shoulders. I know you said back in 2023 that the game designer confirmed that the curvature of the pauldron was an artifact of the game, but I'm curious about what bend angle you decided on with your current design. In your first iteration the crest of the bend appeared parallel with the horizon, whereas some of the game/promo imagery shows a downward sloping profile. So nevermind the curve; I'm wondering about the bend slope. Looking further at your other posts, it appears this was actually previous asked here. If one were to replicate a downward slope on the shoulder line, the pauldron would be slightly conical in shape when laid to rest on, say, the floor, as opposed to flat. And btw, what method are you using for closure? Velcro or hooks?

zrHTYZO.thumb.jpg.d6c9950b24740d09945952c5cb5f1e12.jpg     VAKIsqv.jpeg

But then, of course, you have these images which appear to show a more perfectly level angle. :56pullhair:

p8IWK53.jpeg

Regardless of this, dude, it's looking GREAT! Someday maybe we'll get a character with a double TD. :laugh1:

This was an excellent point and I'm glad I spent some time on this before going any further. When the new, thinner and more flexible pauldron is laid on the armor, it is now able to lay more naturally to ensure that it does not raise above horizontal at the shoulder. However, it became clear that trying to push the front pie slices into place was the main cause of this and that more material would need to be removed from the front edges of the pauldron.

At our Squad armor party this past weekend while I had some extra eyes, I laid out the pauldron and red panels using some magnets to hold them in place - I used the back panel to help locate everything but didn't have enough magnets to also hold it on, which shouldn't matter for the front placement.

q3y21jD.jpegK6zsZDV.jpeg 

FR5HJOB.jpeg

It became clear that all of the excess material in black would need to go in order to allow the pauldron to slope more naturally downward...

7yAhs0F.jpeg

One side done, for comparison...

KAWqO7V.jpeg

And the other, with all of the pie cuts trimmed to fit...

XUQdBQS.jpeg

I'm MUCH happier with the way that lays now and I think is a huge improvement over the previous version, shown below for comparison...

DWyY8OW.jpeg

dDXMpBb.jpeg

If no one protests, I think this is now pretty much ready to be glue down, but I welcome any final constructive feedback. Thanks all!

• Like 4

Those few adjustments have made all the difference

MNeE7.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

FR5HJOB.jpeg

XUQdBQS.jpeg

I love the way this falls now.

Not only does it look great, shape wise - but it is so much smoother now than what is was before! That's just a nice bonus detail! :D Great work on this so far!!!

• Like 1

1eHg4ei.jpeg

Progress! Red and grey panels have been glued down, but... I'm not sure I'm happy with the connecting panel. Might redo it but overall it's looking good. Next is to ensure the fit is right and then add the magnets that hold it on.

• Like 3

Now that it is pieced together do you think the center grey area (or central panel) may be a touch too wide? 

1eHg4ei.jpeg

Grey area appears narrower and higher on the pauldron. May be too much of a gap between the red panels. Tried to get these images roughly the same size, reference is slightly on an angle though.

VAKIsqv.jpeg.dd46bd053e2f9d3f84324f11ac8ce88d.jpeg

It's pretty darn close and if you are happy with it leave it as is

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

hFNvSoK.jpeg

Templated up and feeling better about version number 3 of the center connector. The center panel looks a lot closer and the overall shape was changed to better suit the new angles, but needs to be at least that long to cover the chest armor indent. I also plan on mixing the grey paint a bit darker this time. 

I went pretty easy on the glue to avoid it bleeding out from under the red panels, but I do need to go back and CA or leather glue all the corners that have the more aggressive bends in them as well (can see it at the top).

Finally, you can't see them, but I pulled up the velvet lining and epoxied two large, round neodymium magnets underneath, so the front of the pauldron is held down by the same magnets that secure the chest, and strong bar magnets in the back. This allows the pauldron to click into place easily and securely but still move some with my arms, but it always wants to return "home". Making some progress again and will cut the connector out of leather next if it looks good. I'm not happy until everyone agrees it's ready for a CRL!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 4

Super. Cut and painted!

HGwghjH.jpeg

Will let the paint dry fully and then get gluing for final assembly. Previous two attempts for comparison.

nZrCsaj.jpeg

• Like 2

5dZU6lM.jpeg

Et voila. If no objections, I'll finish the final gluing and hopefully the next time you see this will be with the full armor and helmet!

• Like 1

• TheRascalKing changed the title to TK - Stormtrooper: Tales From the Galaxy's Edge: Last Call - First Order Lt. Gauge Research and Build Thread

Center looks much better.

I'm guessing it's either because it's not glued or from the use of a thinner material but just noticed the curve on the end of the panels, compared with and earlier version which is straight

5dZU6lM.thumb.jpeg.b93eb21a66396ba6edca99b9bb40e768.jpegbet.png.a150729227475352254945e9fe57ac41.png.335623574d60d49a410ab8f58d40d8aa.png