TK 6908's AP ARMOR BUILD[*AP]

Well i just figured id start a fresh new thread for my build so if anyone ever uses it for reference, they dont have to scroll through 2 pages before the actual building begins lol SO...here is pic #1...fresh out of the box...

DSCN0943.jpg

I am starting with trimming the ab and kidney/but plates right now....stay tuned....

OK! We now have the ab, kidney, butt, chest and back trimmed! What i am doing is scoring it with the dremel and then making a second pass over the initial score, and then the third pass(one more pass haha), i cut it all the way through. Im pretty good with a dremel as ive used it countless times to do fiberglass Friday the 13th hockey masks and Vader helmets. Since i have like no life, i will probably work on this all weekend only taking breaks to eat, so hopefully ill get alot done!

Ā 

Ok to the pics....here is the rough trim of the ab plate

DSCN0944.jpg

Ā 

Finished Ab and Kidney/butt

DSCN0945.jpg

DSCN0946.jpg

Ā 

Starting the Chest...

DSCN0947.jpg

Ā 

Completed chest..

DSCN0948.jpg

DSCN0949.jpg

Ā 

And the completed back...

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

Ā 

Some of the pieces will need some minor fine tuning still, but for the most part these pieces are done...more tomorrow!

thanks guys! gotta run a few errands this morning and then back to it i go! I think this thread will get more interesting once i start doing the strapping set up. Since now i know what works for me from my experience with the FX kit, i have a good game plan involving very little velcro and the rest all plastic clip buckles and snaps. Im probably just gonna trim as much as i can when i get back, rather than stop to show pieces rough trimmed..it'll get kinda monotonus lol. Im also assembling the thighs, calves and forearms and hopefully the biceps, the way it was done in ANH. Instead of just laying one side over the other on the middle strip, both sides will be trimmed to half the width of that front strip on the calf/thigh, butted together and another strip of ABS will be used as the strip to cover the seam. It will take a little longer, but will look better. Im also planning on reinforcing it further by putting a strip of ABS on the inside as well. just have to see how far i can stretch the ABS strips given with the Kit. I may end up doing the Bi-ceps the regualr way as they are less noticeable than the fronts of the thighs and calves. ANYWHO...off to run errands and get started today....stay tuned!

Ok, so here we are at 1:40PM...

Ā 

Ive now trimmed the legs....

DSCN0960.jpg

Ā 

What im doing now to save time, since im trying to have this set up done by our Toys r us midnight madness troop July 26th, is i hav started assembling one of the thighs. While the glue sets, i post this up, and then go trim some more parts...

Ā 

So first we need to cut a strip of ABS 7/8" wide, by however long the front of your thigh pieces are, in this case 15".

DSCN0952.jpg

Ā 

Then we mark off aprox half the width of the front stip on half of the thigh piece.(we do this to both halves)

DSCN0953.jpg

DSCN0954.jpg

Ā 

then we trim and sand...

DSCN0956.jpg

Ā 

And also sand the back of the strip to be glued. Be sure to wipe the excess dust oiff both pieces before gluing to get a strong bond!

DSCN0957.jpg

Ā 

Then we mix the Glue. Im using Elmers fast set epoxy, which ive used before with no problems. Altho ive never actually assembled armor with it, i did test it on 2 pieces of ABS and it seems to hold well. I also recommend Devcon Plastic welder, as ive used that on my FX armor and its held up great so far.

DSCN0958.jpg

Ā 

Then we place the strip on the outside of one side of the thigh, clamp and let set. Once that sets, you will be able to glue the other side onto the lip you created.

DSCN0959.jpg

Ā 

I will most likely add some ABS pieces on the inside to further strengthen the bond.

More later!

Nice one so far, but i would have left the front strip shorter on the lower front if you are going for an Original suit look

Ā 

2661854285_50c4b6bc0d_o.jpg

Ā 

looking foward to seeing more.

Ya know, your absolutely correct, i completely forgot about that.....

Ā 

it is now fixed! thanks for that. :D

Ā 

So i have one Thigh complete now aside from trimming the extra front strip off the top. Im not really liking the bond of the epoxy im using, so im going to run to the hardware store and pick up some plastic welder. As long as they have it, i will continue on today, and post pics tonight. My plan is to have everything glued, and the shins and fore arms glued/velcroed by tonight. So i can start on the strapping during the week, and by next weekend i can finish the strapping and be done!

Ā 

....thats the plan

On the one thigh I did using the butt seam, I found it much easier to first glue little tabs on the inside of the thigh pieces to hold them together and then glue the long outside strip into place. I'll get to do this to my other thigh because I just had a blow out on it. When I built my armor I with started butt seams but found the thighs were really hard to do so only did one that way. I overlapped the other thigh. If you look at the plastic you can see that the overlap strips are not straight down the front of the thigh on the AP.

Nice one so far, but i would have left the front strip shorter on the lower front if you are going for an Original suit look

Ā 

2661854285_50c4b6bc0d_o.jpg

Ā 

looking foward to seeing more.

Ā 

It almost doesn't look like an added strip. Does anyone have a better picture of the quad? it's hard to tell from that pic. the left side looks like its part of the outer armor.

It almost doesn't look like an added strip. Does anyone have a better picture of the quad? it's hard to tell from that pic. the left side looks like its part of the outer armor.

Ā 

Trust me its an added strip

Sorry i havent been posting guys...i have been doing work and taking pics most of the way through, i will try and update here in the next few days. Im trying to have this done before the end of next week, so im crunchin! I pretty much have everything glued, and am applying the velcro to the backs of the shins and the biceps, although i may just glue the biceps. Im am preparing to start adding the snap and clip buckle strapping system in the next day or so...

Ā 

stay tuned, updates soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, better late than never huh? lol

Ā 

thanks for all the compliments on my build. i wont say it went without incident, but all in all, it went pretty well. So heres the other pics i had taken before i got too bogged down on my deadline..

Ā 

THIGHS

Ā 

So basically what i did was trim the backs to taper them and size them. Since the AP kit has "normal" thighs, it wasnt too bad. I trimmed them till they fit the way i wanted and then taped them with boxtape on the outside on them to hold it.

heres after i marked where to cut..

DSCN0967.jpg

Ā 

i then added extra ABS to the insode to fill the gap on top from the taper.

inside:

DSCN0968.jpg

outside:

DSCN0969.jpg

Ā 

i then mixed some glue and added a wider strip down the inside to support the 2 sides.

DSCN0970.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

i then clamped it till it set.

DSCN0972.jpg

Then after that set, i removed the box tape from the outside. So we then had this:

DSCN0973.jpg

I then added a strip down the middle to cover the longer seam so we have this:

DSCN0965.jpg

I have been meaning to fill the other seam with the ABS goo made with ABS shavings and acetone, but havent gotten around to it yet :rolleyes: