OH NO - Spilled Brush cleaner on my bucket

So, I was working on my ESB paint when a mishap occured. I guess left the brush cleaner lid loose and accidentally knocked it over into my lap. The problem with this is my freshly painted vocoder ESB bucket was also in my lap.

Luckily (I thought) it fluid went onto the back side of the bucket and inside the bucket (and not all over my fresh paint job.

I immediately began wiping it up it off, thinking, oh this is no big deal, as long as it does;t get on the paint. Well, not so lucky, as this has caused the surface of the bucket, wherever it ran to, to be tacky and the finish seems to have taken a bit of a dullness to it. I thought, ok, I will take a little all natural all purpose cleaner and do a light wipe of the affected areas. No luck, no change.

So, after reading the brush cleaner, it says All natural, non toxic... GREAT! oh wait, May damage plastics FUDGE!!!!!.

At this point, I am a little freaked, so I just put the bucket down on my work surface towel and walked away hoping evaporization will take its course and all will be well later.

Wrong again. Several hours later, I picked up the bucket and where the bucket had contact with the towel under night, it was like left over adhesive feeling with towel fibres stuck to it. CRAP.

I moved it to a hard surface to leave for the night.

Not sure what to do at this point. it cause a bit of an issue with one of my decals. I hope it does not get worse. it also will result in needing to re-paint one ear.

I will pick up some NOVUS 1 and 2 this week hopefully this is just an issue on TOP of the plastic and not an issue with the plastic being damaged.

Anywho, this is the end of my battle for the day. What started off so well, ended with much unhappiness.

:6::duimomlaag::6:

this is the brand stuff I have. There is no mention on the package of what it is made of.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

None toxic beware! none toxic shouldnt melt plastic.

funny thing is, it says NOT to use on plastic or use in plastic dish for cleaning brush... YET it comes in a plastic bottle. ugh.

novus 2 works wonders.

novus 3 is white, and it colors faded armor.

novus 1 is just cleaner/polish

2 and 3 are actually chemical and silicon grit rubbing compounds.

they remove layers of plastic like wetsanding.

when using novus:

apply liberal wet coating and massage with finger in place until the mixture begins to dry.

let dry.

polish with a novus brand polishing cloth and buff until you get results.

repeat.

According to the MSDS that brush cleaner you linked to contains Ethanol. I don't know what your helmet is made out of but I do know that ethanol can be rather nasty on some types of plastics. I'm not smart enough to remember which types and a quick google search didn't turn up much good info.

Good luck.

Edited by MisterFubar

OMG that sucks big time, bet there was a few words thrown around loudly. Hope there is not too much damage, if you need too you could use some 1200 grit wet and dry paper with soapy water to help take some of the uneveness out then go over with the polish. Good luck hope you have a win :duim:

Easy. Sand down the surface with a 180 grit paper or pad until fairly smooth, then 240 then 400 then wet sand with a 2000 grit and you should be done. I'd not go over with novus.

It sounds harsh but in reality very easy and you'll get a good result.

It shouldn't take too long and use circular motions as not to cut lines in the plastic with the courser paper. DONE!

Edited by sskunky

Thanks everyone. The good news this morning is that nothing seems any worse than it did last night. I did find a tiny pin hole in the back of the bucket, but I think that is why I was able to pick it up as a B-grade discount. I am trying to convince myself that is the case anyway.

I will pick up some ultra fine grit sandpaper and novus and see if I can get the smooth shine back.

:(

Just a little update... using Novus alone was not good enough. So, taking the additional advice above, I performed a bucket wide sanding. I started with a 400 grit flexible sponge and worked my way up a bit with wet dry until I got a nice smooth finish. I then hit the bucket with Novus 2 and then a couple shots of Novus 1. Not AS shiny as I had hoped it would end up, but the GOO is gone, so that is a win.

Bucket is almost finished, I just need to get the ear stripes and ranks painted and then I can add the padding.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hmmm you could have used 220 grit and just rubbed some dirt in the wound along the way. Please log into MEPD.net for an example.

-Eric

oh no, not going "Dirty" any time soon :Stormtrooper_walk_south: