Sleeping problems

Sonnenschein

LOL!

I'm no wearing pyjamas anyway :P

Let's if it works tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions!

so did anyones advise help any? :unsure:

or did you even sleep? :(

you didnt stay up partying did you? :P

• 1 year later...

Have you tried taking a tryptophan supplement? I do 30 mins before bed after a few nights of waking up too early. It seems to help me get through the night. When I fly off island I use melatonin to signal to my body that it's bedtime to help with jet lag. In a real pinch it'll help me get my an impolite person asleep too.

Aloha,

-Eric

I have a similar problem, I usually struggle to sleep at night and when I do finally nod off I routinely wake up around 4:30 - 5:30 :glare:

The only things that seem to work for me are going for a short walk (depends on your neighborhood mind you) or listening to classical music.

Hi Karin,

So sorry you are having trouble sleeping. My hubby has always had trouble. I tell him

that I have the "sleep-gene" but he missed out on that. I think he has too many thoughts

in his head at night. I suggested to him to write down his thoughts so he can stop thinking

about what he needs to do the next day. He doesn't do that, but when he takes a new sleep

drug, it works the first few nights. He mostly takes over-the-counter pills, but also some

Ambien. I think meditation and stretching are good, and also the NO caffeine and don't

exercise too late in the day suggestions are the best bet. Hope you can get back to normal.

Thanks for your kind sugesstions!

With the exeception of tryptophane I tried everything, I even watched Star Trek: The (slow) Motion picture. LOL

I guess it's too many thoughts. I hope this night is better.

Feel yourselves hugged ;)

Too many thoughts could be it. I get it sometimes too - usually stress related or I have too many irons in the fire. The suggestion to write out everything and get it off your chest is a good one. Also, getting closure on things. No electronics 30 minutes before falling asleep, getting true dark in the room, stretching is good as it relaxes you.

Your bed should also only be used for two activities, both starting with an s. If you can't sleep, the best thing is to get up and read a book or write out your plan for the next day. Clearing your mind and relaxing is the body is what you want to do.

The last is just...letting go. Sometimes I - and I'm sure others - take on way more on our plates than we can handle, and it should be OK to just do less. I'd also avoid any kind of drug, alcohol, or other type of "thing" to get you to go to sleep, as they interfere with your natural chemistry. The main thing is to be relaxed.

Yikes! I hate insomnia. Have had it on and off since I was about 12. Ironically, I can fall asleep anywhere, even standing and with my eyes open, under other circumstances (like long troops).

Here are some ideas that have worked for me, and everyone is different! :) For example, caffeine doesn't stimulate me (helps me focus) and melatonin doesn't do squat for me.

• Your body temperature drops quite a bit as you actually fall into sleep mode. You can artificially induce this drop by raising your body temp immediately before bed, either by hot shower or hot tub, or by drinking hot cocoa or tea. (Some people find cocoa to be a stimulant, though.)
  • Meditation as "intense concentration" helps - don't just listen to music, listen to the music, its rhythms and melodies and harmonies, for example.
  • Another form of intense concentration is to force yourself to "imagine" - since age 12 I pretend I'm in some scenario trying to stay awake but injured, poisoned, or something that would cause me to pass out. The harder I try to stay awake, despite Han Solo trying to rescue me or, in most cases, it was Snake Eyes from G.I.Joe, or trying to stay awake and hidden before Darth Vader discovered my whereabouts, the faster I fell asleep. It takes concentration to "keep with the story" and not let your mind wander, but it's more fun to focus on than, say, a chant or something.
  • Read something horribly boring. Unfortunately this isn't always the best for me, as my mind wanders when I can't absorb what I read, which is usually the problem in the first place (too much thinking).
  • Avoid sugars, including juice, caffeine, chocolate, and other stimulants after Noon.

Good luck in this and future sleep deprivation exercises!

Unfortunately, I get this too and it's caused by an inability to find the off-switch in my head. Way too many thoughts, you must be a Scorpio too?! ;)

Seriously, I tried Melatonin a few years ago and it works pretty well. This is a natural hormone released by our brains. Try a 5mg sublingual tablet, goes under the tongue, about 15-20 minutes before you want to go to sleep. Make sure you turn the lights down low, and that also helps too.