ESB Stormtrooper helmet (CAP)

This is the latest helmet I painted myself. It took me sometime to finished it but I had a blast painting this lid. This is not an idealized helmet, I tried to reproduce the imperfection of the original ones during the shooting of ESB. I wish the weathering would be more noticeable in the pictures. I used humbrol paints, Evo aerators and Mike's ESB decals. I hope you like it.

Cheers

A

ESB_test_unpainted.jpg

Photoshop preview

ESB_test.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5668.jpg

IMG_5737.jpg

ESB_CAP_01.jpg

ESB_CAP_02.jpg

ESB_CAP_03.jpg

ESB_CAP_04.jpg

ESB_CAP_05.jpg

ESB_CAP_06.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot guys for your kind words, I'm glad you like it ;) . It took me some time to get it done with it but I'm very happy with the results, still I will love to get a more accurate neck trim, something closer to the ESB style. I would love to paint next one a TM lid, but I'm afraid I have to sell my T*E HDPE to fund my next project, still thinking about it.

Cheers

A

Nice work Armando!

I've been asked whether the trim on the ESB neck is the same as the brow, it's not. I know it looks like 'U' channel, but if you look closely where the ear caps touch the trim, you can see that it is actually 'S' channel, the same as all the other helmets made. I have not yet seen any original trooper helmet that uses brow trim on the neck.

esbHDPE05.jpg

esbHDPE06.jpg

Just thought I'd point this out as there seems to be some confusion about the trims. Photos courtesy of Jez.

Actually I've taken pictures of the inside of the same helmet. What you are seeing is the trim curving up with the helmet profile. Now the trim is uneven on the inside, so it's possible and likely that it was S trim with the inner lip cut off.

I aggre with Terrell here that the inner S trim section looks to be removed giving the trim a squarer U shape look to it.

I have trimmed some S trim like that and it looks to be how the movie lids may have been done. The outcome was fairly similar.

Actually I've taken pictures of the inside of the same helmet. What you are seeing is the trim curving up with the helmet profile. Now the trim is uneven on the inside, so it's possible and likely that it was S trim with the inner lip cut off.

Thanks a lot guys for sharing that info regarding the neck trim. You are probably right Terrell, I remember now that you and Scott took pictures of the real thing not long ago. Nice!

Nice work Armando!

I've been asked whether the trim on the ESB neck is the same as the brow, it's not. I know it looks like 'U' channel, but if you look closely where the ear caps touch the trim, you can see that it is actually 'S' channel, the same as all the other helmets made. I have not yet seen any original trooper helmet that uses brow trim on the neck.

Just thought I'd point this out as there seems to be some confusion about the trims. Photos courtesy of Jez.

Hey Paul thanks for your kind words... you are such a nice guy, always willing to help here to all the forums members. I will PM you later today whenever I finished at work.

I aggre with Terrell here that the inner S trim section looks to be removed giving the trim a squarer U shape look to it.

I have trimmed some S trim like that and it looks to be how the movie lids may have been done. The outcome was fairly similar.

Good point Firebladejedi, I probably will try that thing you did. Thanks one more time.

These are some other pictures I forgot to add last time.

Cheers

A

ESB_CAP_EARS_DETL.jpg

ESB_CAP_BACK_DETL.jpg

ESB_CAP_artistic_01.jpg

Terrell,

Do you have any photos of the trim with the lip removed because it just looks like bog standard square 'S' profile trim to me?

If you look at this photo below, the old spec SWR150 is close to what was used originally and the larger channel is fitted to the helmet and the thinner channel would be inside.

Neckprofiles.jpg

Terrell,

Do you have any photos of the trim with the lip removed because it just looks like bog standard square 'S' profile trim to me?

Yes I do, but with photobucket compression I don't know how much would be seen. I'll play with it and see if I can crop it so it'll be clear.

Yes I do, but with photobucket compression I don't know how much would be seen. I'll play with it and see if I can crop it so it'll be clear.

Thanks Terrell, I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to see those pictures :duim: .

Cheers

A

I can clearly see that one side of the channel has been trimmed off from the 'S' profile trim. Why they trimmed it makes no sence really?

Well the trim seems to be spot glued on. I know U channel stays on much better than S trim so maybe it was so it would stop trying to come off. But we may never know for sure.

Next question is, is this done to any of the ANH helmets that are referenced?