HOWTO: Make your own Neckseal

Well A couple of folk's asked me to pop this up a while ago & now I have a little time here it is.

My, how to: make one of these

P1000541.jpg

P1000551.jpg

I was hopeing to knock this out all in one day & post it all up, in one fell swoop but sadly the UK Summer is as reliable as ever :( So to help me keep track of it, I will post a few pic's every couple of day's with an update.

I would greatly appreciate any questions in either a pm or at the end of the thread if thats OK just to keep the topic nice & tight.

You will need.

P1000647.jpg

Black Leather (Soft Leather) no more than 1mm thick ideally

Strong contact adhesive & a well ventilated area

Strong spray on adhesive (carpet glue)

Black canvas type material

Black cotton

black Suit liner type material (anything slinky)

Black Matt material & or silk.

Black neoprene cord

Black 2" Velcro 7 (furry side)

black 1" velcro (Hook Side)

Ruler, scissors, pencil, needle, Old Tooth brush, Contact glue applicator

I'l edit this post with all the individual dimensions as soon as I've measured them all up :)

OK roughly cut the canvas type material into a rectangle 5 & half inch wide by 20+? inch long.

P1000622.jpg

Fold the canvas in half by it's length (rough side facing out) & pop the hook type, 1 inch velcro down (on an angle) one end.

Ok there is lot's of info in these few pic's So I'l do what I can to explain without killing the thread with too many pic's.

The half measurement is dependant on your own collar size!!!. As seen I take my collar measurement on an angle from the top, where the velcro is pitching down toward the centre of the neckseal.

the neckseal in the pic is for a 17-17 half'ish collar.

P1000623.jpg

P1000624.jpg

Take the pencil & with the ruler in hand, mark out a straight edge, in line with the velcro

Next with the scissors make a short nick into where the pencil line is line is on the folded canvas.

make sure the cut goes through the top & bottom parts of the folded canvas

P1000625.jpg

now open the canvas & where the freshly cut nick's are on the bottom edge, with pencil & ruler mark out a straight line & cut

P1000626.jpg

tidy up (trim the edge's of the one inch velcro- canvas bit)

now pop the 2 inch furry velcro into the inside edge of the canvas ( if you use self adhesive velcro) it may make it a tad easier at this stage.

P1000628.jpg

if you used non self adhesive velcro? now would be a good time to run a stich over them.

P1000629.jpg

once those are held in place get the carpet (spray) glue & adhere a nice even, liberal layer of glue onto the rough side of the canvas. this should the same side as the hook Velcro is facing out from & the opposite side that the furry Velcro is on.

P1000631.jpg

the reason for using this type of glue at this stage is that it sits on the material & doesn't get absorbed by it thus leaving the neck seal quite flexible for ltr on.

OK now we can leave the base fot a short while & start cutting the leather.

just cut the leather into quarter inch wide strip's, I tend to cut them long initially as it's easier to reduce the length ltr when needed, So about 26" long to be safe.

P1000780.jpg

P1000781.jpg

& now it's time to cut the neoprene cord, again same length as before.

P1000644.jpg

Sorry for the varying degree's in quality of pic's but everything's black & not that easy to photo

Now come's the fun bit,

To reduce how needlessly sticky thing's get a small investment in one of these is essential, plus the amount of glue that's saved from spillage & wastage is unreal.

P1000636.jpg

I think it's a hair product thingymajig, I was given it as the family was complaining about the amount of glue I was going through & the amount of money I was spending :lol: it cut's down on fumes too <_<

Ok so run a bead of glue down the leather strip & a bead of glue also down the neoprene cord, wait a few moments & marry the two together.

squeeze the two item's together to expel any excess glue, with a little practice with the applicator there won't be any. :)

P1000637.jpg

after these two have dried, you should end up with something resembling this. A rib!

P1000646.jpg

Now trim one end, I tend to trim the left side first. Taper the edge in profile with the base canvas, & taper the underside of the rib in by about 20-30mm.

P1000634.jpg

Now check for length, in comparison with the base canvas. Cut the right hand side of the rib down if needed, then when happy repeat the taper on the right side underside, the profile gets trimmed ltr.

test fit

P1000635.jpg

When satisfied, glue the rib onto the canvas with the contact adhesive. Repeat this process about nine time's or how many time's it is untill your happy with the overall look of the base rib's.

P1000638.jpg

as show above cut more lengths of ever smaller lengths of leather strip's, your own judgement is invaluable here to get a nice esthetic.

OK, time to cut the little rib's

here's a step by step approach of each stage of the rib assembly. Starting Top Down

P1000789.jpg

After screaming more light Aziz for long enough this morning, I got a fraction more.

P1000783.jpg

So: 1 cut the neoprene about 10mm shy short of the length of leather.

2 cut the neoprene into a V point on one end

3 glue as the rib's mentioned before & turn over (it should resemble a spear)

4 Cut into the leather at the same end of the rib thats pointed, taper the cut on the underside

5 trim the butt end of the rib on an angle at the same pitch as the base canvas (this applies only to the rib's that will be on the left side of the neckseal)

Easy bit: glue the rib's to the canvas using the contact adhesive & applicator.

P1000639.jpg

my appologies for anyone on dial up, when the threads finished I'l edit the entire thing depending on the questions I recieve (if any) & I'll kill some pic's in the process too.

So today we need to put the collar down & step away from the glue. :)

because the bib, apron, pinny (thanks Billy) <_< needs making.

Cut a rectangle from whatever material you like matt or shiny 41" by 16"

you will also need four length's of the tie's material, black ribbon or tape each 1" wide by about 20" long will do.

P1000800.jpg

now to make an enduring bib you'l need to Sew a hem on all four side's of the bib. This can be done by hand of course but will take a couple of hour's longer. The use of safety helmet is advisable but by no means necessary.

P1000799.jpg

While your at the hem you might use this as an opportunity to attach the four tie's, a few inch up from the bottom works for me

P1000801.jpg

So today we need to put the collar down & step away from the glue. :)

because the bib, apron, pinny (thanks Billy) <_< needs making........

"Pinny?"....who mentioned anything about "pinny's"? ..... :)

...Now who'd like a nice, lovely cuppa tea,....how 'bout you dear? :D

2806760000_3657ba3355_o.jpg

:D

Steve

Fantastic tutorial mate,

for what must surely be, without doubt, the BEST God damn neckseal in the World B)

Many thanks Guy's

I hope the threads of use to someone & if you do make your own, don't forget to post a thread inc pic's & if you make an improved version then pls share :)

BTW this Tutorial was'nt actually finished yet :rolleyes:

But seeing as ppl want it to be over :( I'l edit my last previous post & stick the last pic's in there, over the nxt day or two.

ps I'd luv a cuppa right now ;) more T :P

Due to poor weather conditions there was a brief pause in transmission over the weekend but we resume...

I also made a fatal error by moving on the process without taking pic's, so I've cut a new bib again with what should come nxt.

Fold the bib length ways & once again width ways, make a small nick in the centre corner.

P1000807.jpg

Measure the bottom length of your premade collar from tip to tip not including the velcro, basically where the two side will meet at the back.

With this measurement Take a compass & draw a circle in diameter equal to the width of the base collar.

P1000808.jpg

Make four cut's running from the centre of the bib running out toward but short of the drawn circle.

P1000809.jpg

Descide wich side will be the back of the bib & cut a couple of inch down.

P1000810.jpg

Before attaching the bib & collar together you might want to sew a fold seam on the back of the bib, this will prevent fraying from your head poking in & out of it :blink:

P1000811.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

for those following this thread I did'nt want to leave it hanging but I've been juggling too much stuff recently but this thread will be done by the end of tomorrow & the Auction will be listed on the weekend for the seal made.

many thanks for your patience.

BTW if any one want's to buy any of the neoprene cord I have left over just pm me it's £3.90 delivered anywhere for as much as you need to make your own seal, thats several meters to you & me :) it will arrive in one length ready for you to cut to size ;)

Back in the swing again :)

OK So take the base & lay it over whatever slinky material your going to use for the liner & sizzors in hand cut a gerenous rectangle as pictured.

P1000911.jpg

flip them both over & having the nice side of the material facing the rib's & sew as close into the rib line as you can, don't have too wide a gap on the stitches as it will pucker ltr,

the thin blue line is for demonstration purposes only :)

P1000912.jpg

once it's all been sew along the top (please ignore the fact that I hav'nt done as suggested, as I do this on machine for speed but I've had lot's of practice & it's very difficult to do if your only making one) cut all the excess material off.

Don't cut into the stitching as it may mean starting from scratch :huh: I know :(

P1000913.jpg

flip them over again & this time let the material fall over the back & this is what it should resemble

P1000914.jpg

only a couple more pic's to go & I've finished, Yeah!!! :dance:

& finally :)

turn the base of the neskseal upside down, take the bib & place that inside out & upside down.

Pin the bib to the neckseal.

here's a few pic's as it's not very easy to describe or take pic's of but you'l get the general jist of it.

P1000919.jpg

P1000921.jpg

Flip the whole thing over, right way up & right way round

P1000920.jpg

Sew the liner to the base & bib (ergo =) sew's the bib to the base & liner at the bottom edge of the neckseal.

P1000922.jpg

Remove the pin's

Now that you've removed the pin's

next put the neck seal over your head tie the side tie's & get your lid

P1000933.jpg

Go out with a mean frown or your face & go trooping :Dyou might want to get some armor on as well??

P1000932.jpg

finally for those wanting to buy one off these? here's your chance to join me in giving a little back to the forum.

Buy this "it's for charidy" :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=006

item Number: 160285545864

thanks for your patience guy's, I hope it's been helpful? if not I'll pull the thread :P

• 3 weeks later...