Real Sterling measurements needed

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to make some real accurate templates; Every one I found varied from the other.

Can someone with a real Sterling tell me the lenght of this part?

----------

Thanks!

PS: I may need one or two more in a few days...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Which part Karin :)

18.3" springs to mind for the whole thing...?

Ask Billy Haggis. He's measured a few lately

Bare in mind that some tutorials assume your end cal maybe hollow. Therefore if it isn't, your E11 will be longer than it should be

John :)

If your red line isn't the length of the charging handle slot but ejector port to endcap it is 183mm at the furthest point and 171mm at the shortest but remember it curls around at the edges so there are no sharp angles on it. Hope that helps.

EDIT: P.S. I'm currently stripping and cleaning one of my Sterlings so I'll leave it out for a few days.

Edited by SamJ

I have already done this.

check my signature for the FREE plans.

The BBC plan has your dimension too long! the red line on the BBC plan is about 1/2" too long.

you have to take into account the tip for the doopy do barrel end, and you also have to account for the

folding stock mounting location, which lines up with the folding stock front lock.

my plans have corrected the error, along with locating the parts like the mag well, and trigger group.

The folding stock front lock lines up with the 1/2" hole with the notch. in the closed position.

The barrel is 38MM and the rear cap lug area Outer diameter is 42mm so, where the cap goes on, the diameter is larger.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

ACtually, I am using YOUR plans, Vern! Thats why I am asking in the first place!

You did a nice job, but it is still off.

- Needs to be adjusted for 40 mm

- cocking handle slot is too shot

- several mm need to be added on the end

- several mm removed at the front

- some other minor details

the new all resin kit it nice, but weighs more, is more prone to crack, some details still are inaccurate

ACtually, I am using YOUR plans, Vern! Thats why I am asking in the first place!

You did a nice job, but it is still off.

- Needs to be adjusted for 40 mm

- cocking handle slot is too shot

- several mm need to be added on the end

- several mm removed at the front

- some other minor details

the new all resin kit it nice, but weighs more, is more prone to crack, some details still are inaccurate

Well, isn´t all "accuracy" gone as soon as you increase the dia by 5% (from 38 to 40)? That is no glued-on detail, we´re talking here about one of the two main measurements.

I know that 50cm of DN40 wastepipe is deadcheap here, but it still is "off". And any glued-on parts are prone to cracking and breaking of, too - dependend on the used resin even more than a kit from a good resin (not the brittle stuff).

Sure it will be off, but good enough for a first glance and way better than a hasbro. And where talking about just 2mm ;)Lenght is more important IMHO. e.g fitting of the holster.And as long as it sits on the shelf or is with the manniqin, I don't care about breaking.The only "accurate" way would be owning a real one - which is out of the question for me.I don't want any weapen anywhere near my house!

• 1 month later...

it would be nice to have plans for the real sterling tube.

erv even had to reduce the plan for the vents and modify the breech

to make a "real sterling" set of plans from the bbc plans.

the plans I created were for the doopy Do's kit version 1.

with the new doopy out, anyone can glue together and paint a blaster in less than a week.

making the internals, and bolting it all together is much harder with the version 2 kit,

since the bolt is moulded in.

it looks like the doopy kit ver 2 also has a really thick inner diameter with the addition of a

pvc pipe. the depth of the vent holes are really deep, and detract a little from the overall look.

any work on this karin?

I might be following this thread seeing as I'm at the point in a doopydoos full resin build, that I only have to add the internals (barrel, rear/inner bolt and spring) and the scope rail.

The new full resin doopydoos kit is really accurate out of the box, and only needs a few tweaks to look really legit, hollowing out the front sight and some other small modifications which I will hopefully cover in my build-thread/tutorial.

And thinking about sturdiness, I think the kit, assembled with care and E6000 will be really solid. :)