New Academy Site Launched!

Daetrin

Good morning troops!

It gives me great pleasure to announce the launch of FISD's very own Academy site which we hope will make it easier for you to find the content you're looking for. With almost 130,000 posts spread out over the forum, FISD is no longer a new detachment. There are 851 topics alone in the area devoted to Assembly, Mods, and Painting. It can be hard enough for us veterans to find what we're looking for, much more so for people new to the hobby. As reaching out and helping troopers is our mission in life, it was time to take FISD to the next level.

What the Academy Offers

The Academy is designed to making finding the content you need easier, faster, and in more detail. Updated CRL's for each costume have been created complete not only with visual references, but also with the ability to download them all as a zip to make it easier for people to have local copies.

zip.jpg

A complete list of every TIP and HOWTO article posted is part of the main navigation, allowing people to quickly find a list of the best armor building ideas in one place.

The main goal of the site though are the Tutorials: Armor, Blaster, Electronics. We intend to describe every element of the stormtrooper costume : what it is, how it fits together, quick links to related tutorial threads and even a short list of vetted sellers for some items that we all need such as neckseals, belts, and gloves. Everything you need, conveniently in one place!

What's Next

Alas, trying to write all the tutorials prior to launch was more than FISD's staff could take on and still have time for much else. While the staff will be adding new areas over time I'd like to invite each and every one of you to feel free to contribute to any area that needs work, whether it be something small or a whole section, just like these forums together we can get it done.

We are also welcoming other ideas from the field. Already someone has offered to create an Armor History chart, and it's been suggested to add side by side comparisons of the various armors as well.

The real strength of FISD is in it's members and their willingness to embrace the motto of "troopers helping troopers". We really hope you guys like the Academy - it may be small now but then FISD started with one post too. :)

Thanks to everyone on the FISD staff for making this a reality, with particularly kudos to Aaron (Synaptyx) who did all UI work and got the site up and running. And than you - our members - who put your heart and souls in to making this the best detachment in the 501st Legion!

With unquestioned loyalty,

Paul

"Daetrin"

TK-8020

Like I said before in another post, Amazing!!!

The New Academy looks great and will be a big help to all the FISD members, new and old :duim:

Big Thanks to the FISD staff and a special thanks to Aaron for his hard work! :salute: :salute: :salute:

Here's to a great year for FISD :pint1:

I took a look at it yesterday Paul and it is very impressive. Great job the EIB rotation video is really cool.

Looks great fellas, thanks for all the hard work! It's no small undertaking I'm sure.

I think the armor history chart would be a great idea. I did see a "family tree" somewhere, might have been on the RPF? It showed how most of the current molds originated off a couple of casts created from the ROTJ armor, and then branches out. It also covered 100% fan sculpts such as FX / AM, TM, etc.. I think that chart would be great!

I'd still like to see an introductory article on how to select armor. It seems to take people a long time to select what they want, and they don't always choose what fits their purpose / intended use, I think that would be helpful.

I know there's already links and tutorials for blasters, but it would be great to see an update Parts of SW style section for blasters. I would love to see more on detailed tutorials on DLT-19's and T-21's. I know there's a few out there, but it would be nice to see more. I'm building my T21 now, and I'll try to make a tutorial from it.

Hey Terry - these are great ideas. Can you plz create a post in the Tech Support area for these features so they don't get lost?

I saw the new EIB page and found that Singapore is missing in the countries represented sentence. :(

We have 3 EIB troopers from Singapore Garrison and I assure u guys more EIB applicants from us are coming. :lol:

Edited by gordonator

WOW! :o

Awesome!

Great job guys! :duim:

I just wanted to note that we have a Spanish EIB member (trskel, TK-3891) so Spain is represented too. :)

(And I hope very soon I'll be the second Spanish EIB)

Congrats on such a woderful job!

Yup, one thing on the plate for the EIB page is to be able to show stats by garrison, or filter by garrison.